Fourteen

With a fixed gaze, Jacob regarded you for a moment before a smirk appeared on his face. Surprised, you flinched briefly, for some reason afraid of the sight.

Amused, he watched you weaken, your grip on the knife loosening.

"Calm down, pup.", he slowly turned to you, his eyes locked with yours. "We don't want to do anything stupid. Don't we?"

"N-no...", it didn't really sound convincing, but you didn't want to listen to him. "Stay back!"

Your legs twitched, ready to run away. You took a big step back, but you kept holding the knife towards him. He should know that you were ready to slit his throat if it was necessary.

Unimpressed, Jacob followed you, enough distance between the two of you so that the knife couldn't hurt him in case you snapped. He knew that you wanted to get some distance between the two of you.

He was smart enough to know that to stab him, you needed to do a step towards him. And he seemed to read you good enough to know that a step towards him was like hell in your eyes.

Breathing heavily, but at least consistent, you jumped two more steps back. Your back hit a hard surface, a tree trunk. You were now standing at the edge of the hill, right where the forest begun. You briefly threw a gaze over your shoulder, checking if everything was clear and threw your head back to him.

The thought of him being out of your sight made you nervous.

Stay right there, you hissed and set one foot after the other.

Suddenly, the sound of something cracking filled the air. It was a bit like branches breaking underneath a shoe or plastic.

A cold shiver crawled down your spine. There was this feeling underneath your feet, As if you had stepped into a puddle.

Jacob smiled amused.

"Good job, pup.", he mocked and glanced at you. "You just disrespected the dead."

Your hands started to shake. Swallowing hard, you slowly lowered your eyes. Fear crawled up your throat and squeezed it shut. You kind of knew what awaited you. But you didn't want to believe it until you saw it with your own two eyes.

"That... was that... was that me?", you asked, as your eyes caught a glimpse of a pool of red.

A strange thing was laying in it, face down. A leg was missing. The arms were strangely twisted and the torso and back covered in wounds. Blood was still pouring out.

Poor guy wasn't dead for long.

But he had suffered. A lot.

The sound of steps made you snap out of your mind. Your head turned around, just in time to catch Jacob coming closer.

He stopped, now only two big steps away from you. There was a smile laying on his lips and a shimmer in his eyes.

Was that... pride?

Confused, yet a bit scared, you frowned and jumped back again. Below your feet rocks and wet soil tried to make you slip and fall. You stumbled, caught your balance again and stopped right in time to sage yourself from falling down a small cliff.

Jacob's eyes followed your every move. They wandered over your body, checking how the muscles worked and how your legs and feet supported you even though this territory was so unknown to them.

He would have never told you, but he was impressed. In the beginning, you had not looked like much to him. If he was fully honest, he had placed a bet against his other soldiers, stating that you would be the first to die. But now here you were, right in front of him.

With his knife in your hands.

To be fair, he had been a bit careless. Maybe it was this soft exterior of yours, but he had felt strangely comfortable around you.

Usually, his instincts told him to always be on guard. But whenever you were around, the screams inside his head got weaker and he was able to hear his own thoughts.

Maybe he had enjoyed this effect a bit too much.

But that didn't matter now. He knew how to get you back. He just needed one small moment, one second of weakness and you would be under us control again.

"You were.", he nodded and threw a glance over his shoulder to take a look at the mess himself. "Honestly pup, I wasn't expecting you to be this brutal. Poor guy had no chance against you. Shit, you were like a maniac. Even I would have had trouble fighting you."

He faced you again, a soft expression on his face.

You flinched as his eyes locked with yours. A strange shiver chased through your body.

"How did this fucking happen?", you asked, searching for a way out.

The cliff behind you wasn't big at all, but you wouldn't be able to get down with one jump. You would have to put the knife away and climb down.

That would take time. Time you didn't have.

Plus, the huge mountain man in front of You seemed to be a lot quicker than he looked like. If you turned around and ran, he might be able to catch you easily.

No, you needed to face him at all times. The only thing that kept him away from your throat was the knife in your hands.

Unarmed, he would absolutely destroy you.

"Pup.", his voice cut through your thoughts like a blade through flesh. "You should never wander off when you're in a dangerous situation. Makes you an easy target."

You blinked, a bit confused.

"W-what?"

He chuckled. It was a strangely normal chuckle, deep and not threatening at all. He was amused, in a good way. As if he was a totally normal man, laughing about the silly little things that his partner did.

"You were gone for a moment.", he looked at you again while letting his hand run through the long part of his ginger hair.

Somehow, this movement of his gave you goosebumps.

"You... what the fuck are you making me do?", you asked and wanted to take another step back.

Your foot missed the edge of the cliff. Suddenly, you felt the sensation of getting dragged down. You fell to the ground, half of your body slipping off the edge. Out of reflex, you let the knife fall and held onto the edge of the cliff.

While your feet dangle in the air, your hands held onto dear life.

He chuckled, visibly impressed by how stupid you could be.

But as he took one step closer, your instincts kicked in. You would rather die falling or break a leg than be with him one second longer.

"Come on.", he offered you a hand. "Let's end this bullshit, huh?"

Your gaze locked with his. Anger was burning on those (E/C) eyes of yours.

"Go fuck yourself!", you threw your head back, letting yourself fall down the cliff.