One

With an annoyed growl, you hit the board in your car.

At that moment, you weren't even afraid that the airbag would get triggered and break your neck with full force. If you thought about it that way, it was actually a good thing.

"Fucking navigation device.", you cursed and tapped on the display. "Where did you take me?!"

A map lit up on the small screen. In the bright light of the summer sun it was hard to make out anything on it, but you could see roads, a few rivers and forests and nothing but land.

"Great.", you threw your head back and sighed in annoyance. "Now I have to ask someone for directions. Or worse, use a map. Who uses fucking maps these days?"

You cast a sour look at the screen before closing the route and turning on the radio.

A strange crack sounded from the speakers before a melody filled the car. It was such a weird song, something that churches used in order to advertise how hip and cool they were.

Cringing, you wanted to turn it off again, but hesitated as the music retreated into the background.

"Come, here you will find your salvation.", a male voice suddenly sounded from the radio. "I am a sinner, you are a sinner, we are all full of sin. Even the Father is stained. But you can become pure. Just say yes."

You frowned.

"What a weirdo.", you muttered, and turned on Spotify. "Wait..."

You glanced at your phone for a moment, then at the car screen and back again. With any luck, there was mobile network in this goddamn hole full of hillbillies.

Then you could use your data to find a route back via Maps. Of course, you could also drive the whole road back, but it wouldn't make sense at the intersection at the latest, because your sense of direction and memory weren't the best.

You had been on the same road for at least forty minutes, all the way back, which would make it almost an hour and a half. By then it was getting dark and then it would be a nightmare to drive a car. Especially when there was no opportunity to refuel or rest far and wide.

Sleeping in the car was an option, but the sheer thought was enough to make you shiver. Sleeping around here didn't seem like a smart idea.

Again you had to groan.

"Next time I'll get a better car.", you complained to yourself. "With a better navigation system."

You started the engine again after glancing at your cell phone. No signal, but maybe that would change once you were out of the woods.

"All right...", you took another quick look at the fuel gauge. "Please, please, please, don't run out of gas until I'm out of this hole."

The engine howled, the tires spun, and you stepped on the gas. Suddenly there was this feeling, this desire to run away, far away. It felt like something was sitting in your neck, a wild animal that wanted to destroy you.

A cold shiver ran down your spine. You shook yourself. It was strange, it was the middle of summer but suddenly you felt so cold.

With a watchful gaze you let your eyes wander over the street, briefly between the trees and back onto the street. Shadows danced between the green, everything seemed so quiet and idyllic.

At that moment you thought about parking the car somewhere and taking a walk. But there was still the uneasy feeling nesting in the back of your mind.

Your foot became heavier on the gas and the car began to move faster. With one look at the display, you realized you were already going 20 over the speed limit. But you didn't want to slow down. Something inside you refused.

The forest thinned out and the trees became long, bright green grasses that could have reached a grown man's waist.

The area was beautiful, there was no denying that, but something lurked between that beauty. Something dangerous.

Looking up at the cloudless sky, you noticed an eagle flying around above the car.

Your eyes wandered back to the road at just the right moment to notice a white wolf standing like he was made of stone. His strange gray eyes looked at you and seemed to look right through every layer of flesh, into the deepest depths of your soul.

Startled, you stepped on the brakes, the tires squealed and the car jerked a little. But even when the car was only a stone's throw away and threatened with certain death, the animal did not move.

With all your might, you pushed the brake all the way to the ground. You pulled the handbrake. The tires stopped all at once. The car came to a stop only when there was only a hand's width left between the wolf and the bumper.

Through the force, your head jerked forward, the seatbelt tightening around your body, causing a burning sensation to spread across the neck.

Nothing moved anymore. Everything was dead silent.

Breathing heavily, you raised your head. It hurt to move.

A warm feeling ran down your forehead. When you carefully touched the spot with your fingers, there was blood.

"Shit!", you cursed softly and stumbled out of the car. "Hey. Hey! Hush! Go, go, go!"

You tried to get the wolf off the road, it would have been enough if he had moved just a little, but he didn't move a single bit.

Confused, you frowned, a sharp pain coursing through your head.

There was a red symbol painted into his forehead. It looked like a cross.

"What the..?", confused, you tired to get a bit closer to the wolf, in order to see better. "Are you hurt? What is that?"

You reached out for the animal.

It was calm, motionless. Those strange eyes still looked at you, as if there was something to be seen, something to be revealed. A secret, a lie... a sin perhaps.

"He's not.", a male voice suddenly said.

Struck by surprise, you ripped your hand back and ripped your head to the side.

A man emerged from the shadows of the forest, dressed in a green army jacket, a grey shirt and some plain jeans. He looked at you from top to bottom before calling the wolf to his side. He was ginger, his hair well kept and styled, with blue eyes.

"You're not from here.", he said in a voice that was equally frightening and soothing.

You swallowed thickly.

"But you are.", you said, gifting him an innocent smile.

He nodded.

"Damn right, this is my territory."