chapter 10

I jumped back, grumbling under my breath. "Did you really have to provoke him, Jesse?" I said through gritted teeth.

"Oh come on, we were all doing it." He responded smugly.

"I wasn't doing it." Tazor argued.

"That's because you're a big softy." Jesse said back.

"Guys, less arguing and more focusing on the threat, please." Mirume interrupted.

As if Mirume's words weren't enough to get all of our heads back in the game, the opponent began to twirl his blade in the air before launching a heavy winded tornado at all four of us. "Ripwave wind!" He shouted out as we all fell back, taking quite a significant amount of damage.

"Okay, shoot." Jesse sighed heavily. I don't think I was expecting this."

"Oh, you weren't?" I grunted, sarcastically. "How odd."

"Hey, shut up." He retorted. "You know how I am."

"Guys, we really need to stay focused, here." This time, it had been Tazor to say that to us.

"Right." Mirume said. "But hey, uh, Ninja guy. I have a question if you don't mind."

The ninja gave no response. Only stood there silently, still in the same battle position.

"Right so, can you tell me what materials your sword is made out of? Or do you know?" Mirume asked in an innocent voice. Still, there was no answer from the opponent.

"Alright fine. "Mirume sighed, unamused. "We'll leave that one for later."

The ninja, now very impatient, ran towards Mirume and swung his blade at a vicious speed and angle.

"Shadow clipper!" He said, announcing his attack and as a result, a loud bang was heard on impact, leaving a thick, dark fog all through the atmosphere.

Not too long after the attack, all of the fog began to clear up and I'd expected to see a bloodied and wounded ally of mine. Instead what I saw, was a strong, stone based barrier conducted by none other than the high mage and thunder Lord, Tazor. And the look on his face, wasn't happy.

"You try that again, and it just might be the last thing I ever let you live to do." He said, venom pouring out through his voice. The ninja just gave him a calm look as he returned back to his original battle stance.

"You don't seem to be much of a talker, huh?" Tazor continued to speak. "well wouldn't it be a shame if the last words you ever spoke, were, well actually what was it you said again? Turn back, now?" The ninja just squinted sharply at our mage, in silence.

"Thought so." Tazor said with confidence before speaking a spell. "lightning above, take vengeance upon the trespasser of your lord and strike!" At his call, the clouds in the sky formed a perfect circle and in between the boundaries of that circle, lightning was being built up. In a matter of seconds, the lightning came crashing down in a fierce bolt, hitting the ninja directly. Or so it seemed that way.

In the nick of time, the ninja held up his blade to guard him, and deflect the powerful lightning. Tazor just smirked. "Heh, now I'm just as curious as Mirume was." He said, teasingly. "What exactly is that sword of yours made out of? It's not easy to deflect the lightning of a raging god."

To no surprise, the ninja didn't offer any answers. But he readied himself once more. It started to dawn on me that this became like a one on one battle, as I and the two other allies of Tazor, practically just sat in our places, like sitting ducks. But with the energy I saw in Tazor right now, sitting this one out, and letting him handle it, may have been the best option. I had never seen him so angry before.

The ninja now gracefully, yet hastily flung himself up high in the sky. High enough so that my team and I, could no longer see him in the distance. Though Tazor stood his ground without even the slightest iota of hesitation. He simply just looked up at the sky, as if he hadn't even lost sight of his opposer.

Seconds went by and then, charged by a violent thrust of wind, the ninja came crashing downward, right above Tazor. But Tazor, quite strangely, just smiled as the ninja sped towards him like a bullet out of the sky.

Was he starting to go crazy? Was the atmosphere of this forest starting to affect his head? How in the name of Flaresca, was he able to stay so calm while being targeted at such an alarming pace? It made absolutely no sense to me.

But right when the ninja was only inches away, Tazor snapped his fingers, creating a sound that echoed through my ears and the whole forest around us. And suddenly, he held something in his hand.

It was a brand new weapon.