chapter 9

Contrary to the rest of the world that we'd travelled upon thus far, the forest of thieves had a more lifeless and sleepy aesthetic to it. The leaves on the trees were a much darker shade of green than that of the trees outside of here. And the grass had a very similar feeling to it.

I just hoped that we wouldn't have to stay here for very long at all. It just seemed like a sad place to spend too much of your day. But hey, a collector has got to do what a collector has got to do, right?

Mirume led the party of four, through the atmosphere as he followed a trail of exposed soil on the ground. We all kept our guards up in case of any surprise attacks that could have happened at any moment now.

"Not much to see, is there?" Jesse said, exaggerated boredom showing in his voice.

"It's a literal forest, my guy." I retorted. "What exactly were you expecting to see in it?"

"Oh I don't know, grapes? Bananas? Berries?" He responded in a playfully rude tone.

" Yeah well, the thieves rumored to roam around here, probably stole all of those things, dude." I joked dryly. Suddenly, almost as if it might have been cued by my jinxing words, the trees started to ruffle loudly, as if they had been disturbed by someone's movements.

"On guard, team!" Mirume half whispered, half shouted to us, in command. And we followed his orders, wielding our weapons and getting ourselves into a battle ready formation as each of our backs were against one another, while our eyes covered every angle and direction around us.

The ruffles came along again, from above this time. I could hear the ruffles travel from tree to tree, getting closer to us. My eyes began to pick up a chakra reading from the source of disturbance. The energy of this encounter was a shadowy and misty shade of black and grey.

Right off the bat from there, I can say I felt a slight sense of relief from what I could tell. "Hey guys." I said, alerting my team. "I'm almost completely sure, that what we're dealing with, isn't going to be a fiendish creature."

"What?" Jesse questioned. "What is that supposed to mean? If we're not dealing with a fiendish creature, then what are we going up against?"

On cue to the question, the target dropped from the air and landed across from us, in a great feat of elegance. His body was comfortably covered in a black leather, all over, revealing no skin other than his eyes, which radiated a navy blue color, matching a night sky's theme.

"He's a human being." I confirmed, not changing from my battle stance. I didn't know what this stranger's intentions were. I wasn't going to be so naive as to trust him for the simple fact that he wasn't a fiendish creature.

As I took a closer look from this point on, my eyes read him more accurately.

He held a longsword whereas the handle was pure gold while the blade itself was all black. I could feel and see a great, golden wave of dangerous aura, coming from the weapon. It was pretty intimidating

He himself, had more agility and speed than he did strength. He must have gone to the great seeing eye and was given his guild. Because from what I could tell, and I knew I wasn't wrong, he was a Shinobi.

"What is your purpose for coming here?" The stranger asked us.

"Yo, uh, we come in peace, man." Jesse said back. "We only came here to collect materials cause my guy here, Mirume, wants to start a blacksmith's shop."

"And you chose this place because?"

"That was my decision." Tazor spoke up. From what I understand, there are creatures here, referred to as punch trolls. Their shells would be great material for armor. Or at least that's what I thought."

"Turn back. Now." The ninja said, menacingly.

"I'm afraid that's what we are not going to do, my friend." I said boldly.

"I'll second that." Said Mirume. "So here's our counter offer. If you want us to leave so badly, you're going to have to chase us out. Take it or leave it. What's it gonna be?"

The Ninja shook his head, sighing in what seemed to be a gesture of disappointment. "You're making a vital mistake by opposing me." He boasted.

"Oh, really? Why don't you show us what you've got." Jesse dared, recklessly.

And at that moment, in a non verbal response, the ninja across from us, drew his blade. And as he did, that midnight blue aura began to spiral wildly around him like a furious hurricane.

Oh boy. We were really in for it now.