chapter 3

The ogre's large and lifeless body started to melt away into small and colorful beams of light. Those beams of light then started to travel towards us and then attach themselves. I assumed now that I knew what we would have to do next. But just in case, I asked Mirume and Tazor to clarify the facts for me.

"Right, so, we defeated the uh, person affected by fiendishness." I said quite awkwardly. "So now we take the spirit of the person to a worship statue, correct?"

"That is correct." Tazor confirmed. "The nearest worship statue should be just 5 miles west. Not too far away."

"Good, let's get going then." I said, focused.

"Hey, uh...can I have a health potion first, guys?" Pleaded Jesse. And that's when it was brought to our attention that there was a huge gash on his back from the way that ogre had tossed him around before the rest of us had even gotten involved.

I glared at Jesse as Tazor looked through his inventory, grabbing a health potion and using it's powder based substance on the damaged area of Jesse's back, much to his relief.

"Why in the name of magic, would you, out of nowhere, branch out from the party and pick a random fight with a random beast, Jesse?!" I scolded him. He just laughed it off, stretching out his newly healed body before giving a lazy answer.

"What can I say? I quite fancy the riveting feeling of a good ol' fashion spar." He said, oh so casually.

"Well next time you get into a good ol fashion spar, make sure to at least bring back up." I lectured.

"Okay, okay. I will next time. happy?" Jesse said in mock surrender.

"Quite." I responded with folded arms.

"Oh, hey guys I forgot to give you something!" Said Tazor, digging into his inventory bag and pulling out a few rolled up pieces of paper. "These are maps of Flaresca, made by Mirume and I. Keep them handy, okay?"

I grabbed one from him and saw as Jesse did the same. But this got me thinking again. And as usual, thinking gets me asking questions. "Wait. If you already have maps made for Flaresca, that would mean...just how long have you guys been planning out this world?" I asked, kind of impressed.

"Well, Mirume had been planning it out, way before he met me, remember?" Tazor reminded me.

"Not to mention, I used my previous world as somewhat of a template." Mirume said, adding on to the answer and I nodded slowly.

"Hey Mirume, what exactly was your previous world called?" I asked. I couldn't help worrying that I was stepping into forbidden territory with a question like that. And Mirume looked a little agitated, which made me feel even more embarrassed.

"My old world wasn't called anything." He answered. "I just called it my world. Or...we just called it ours...you know what I mean..." His words began trailing off into distracted whispers. Yep. I definitely should have avoided asking that one.

I could see new emotions staining his face and i couldn't help pondering over it all. Such as the fact that if he used the old world as a template for the new one, then the old one must have meant a whole lot to him.

By now, it had been about a twenty five minute walk, heading west. And the worship statue was in sight. We continued walking for the remaining distance until we were finally there.

Mirume approached the worship statue, kneeling in front of it and offering to it, the contained spirit. In response, the statue began to let off an enticing auric glow, absorbing the spirit and then abruptly launching it up into the sky, and towards the great seeing eye. The deed was done. And we could move on to the next now.

I let out a sigh. Surely this was going to get redundant rather quickly. At this point, it was just going to be fighting. And I just couldn't understand why we created an entirely new world, just to fight. It made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

But maybe I wasn't seeing the full picture. Maybe there would be more to come in all of this, sometime later. Just be patient May. It's all you can do at this point. I stretched my body and stayed upright before turning to Mirume.

"So, what's next? We go hunting?" I asked, unenthusiastically. He gave me a half sympathetic look, though it also seemed half annoyed.

"What's next, nosy Rosie, is that we find the nearest village to settle down at." He said with attitude. I was pretty relieved at his answer.

"Oh, okay, so where's that supposed to be exactly? I asked.

"You have a map." He so rudely pointed out. But he was right. So I unfurled my map and took in the fact that the nearest was roughly fifty miles, southwest from the statue we were at.

"Well, I guess we're headed that way." I pointed and lead the way to the location.