I. INDECENT PROPOSAL

"Tell me dirty immoral things in this world Anna, except the unfair laws of course..." - Jasmine

============

You are sighing for the nth time. Another bill, another head ache. You don't know what to do with all the remaining change in your bank. How would you find the money to pay everything?

If only you are not alone, everything would be easier.

'Not again. Not that thought again.' You sigh.

You will be twenty-five next week and you are still alone, not a ring on your finger, not a single person promising for forever.

Everyone at your age is already tied in marriage, happy with their family, leaving a luxurious life with their hordes of children running about.

Why luxurious? Because everything is less expensive if you find your soulmate. The government gives subsidies to soulmate couples and if you have children, you are given a handsome amount for child support. Soulmates are encouraged to procreate. Mind you, it is not just in Korea but also in the entire world, what differ is the amount that the government can give. They are all rewarded, because it's with them the humanity thrives. It's with them population can soar and increase the richness in the future... because in this world, only Soulmates bear children and no one else.

So... You have been living with no one to call Soulmate.

So what? You could be happy with all the freedom you have.

Wrong.

In this world people like you are everything but free.

Everyone would look at you funny. They would think you're a mistake. They would think you're lazy to find your fated mate. You are deemed to be worthless. They would see you as a reject. You are nothing but a trash and a liability of the government.

You have to lie and pretend you have one to get a white-collared job. You can't even apply for your dream profession just because you are an Unbounded. You have to ink yourself numerous times to prove your claim. That you have a floral soul ink and your soulmate is just working far.

You have to re-ink yourself again and again for it only stays for at most three months for Fate doesn't allow you to taint your body other than with its own design.

It's unfair, isn't it?

You don't have the choice either way. You have to accept it. This is the world you are in. It's what it is.

A loud honk of a car disrupts you from your thoughts. You almost forget that you are at the middle of the street stressing all of these. No wonder you take forever to drive from one place to the other because of how chaotic your thoughts are. You are about to take the curve towards your designated parking space when your phone rings.

Your previous manager is calling. She is a sweetheart. She was the only one who looks at you without any trace of pity. You could not blame her for laying you off once everyone knew your true identity. She had to do it. You have stayed connected though.

You turned off the engine as you answer.

"Hey Anna." You are trying hard to be cherry. You can't let anyone know how pathetic you feel right now. Not even your friend.

"Hello... Jasmine. How are you doing?" She says with worry in her voice.

"Same as always... I just came from an interview..." You say as your frown begun to form. It's hard to fake your emotions to a dear friend. Not with how sincere her voice is.