Chapter 11: Awakening

No POV

Location: Azur Lane/Crimson Axis Pacific Base

Date: September 30th, 2064

Time: 0630 hours.

The screen slow went from darkness to seeing the Command building.  The peace was shattered by a loud BOOM.  The image soon changed to that of the cafeteria.  BOOM!  The image changed once more, as it was the sea, the surface slightly choppy, but calm otherwise.  Suddenly, an explosion appeared on the water, as a bomb missed it's original target.  Zuikaku was dodging and weaving through torpedoes, bombs, and even a strafing run or two from fighters.  Her opponent, the Gray Ghost herself, Enterprise, was continually sending aircraft towards the Sakura carrier.  Every now and then, she would slash one of the aircraft out of the sky if they got close enough to her, but she wasn't given any chance to go on the offensive.  Back on land, three people were watching the fight, but were doing nothing else.  Eric was watching the "fight" between these to ships, and he felt proud to have two famous fighters under his command.  Enterprise had only recently joined his fleet, less than a week ago, and he remembered that Zuikaku once wanted to fight Enterprise on a one on one fight, almost two years ago.  Hence the fight, really an exercise, between the two great warriors.

Eric's POV

The two girls standing beside him were Ayanami, as she also watched the two fighters, but was also taking notes on their strengths and weaknesses.  The other girl that was there was none other that Shoukaku, Zuikaku's older sister.  She was constantly yelling out encouragement to her sister, but Eric thought that is was distracting Zuikaku more than it was helping.  As the fight continued, Zuikaku was able to finally gain a bit of an advantage, taking her knowledge of Enterprise's lack of self care at times and forcing her to wear herself out.  Soon enough, the fight between the two was even, Zuikaku attempting to slice off anything from Enterprise, and the Gray Ghost herself blocked and dodged while occasionally launching more aircraft from her bow.  As Eric and the two girls with him continued to watch, two more girls came up behind them.

Hornet: Hey ya, everyone.  What's going on?

Eric turned around and gave her a wave.  Along with Enterprise, Hornet had also joined his fleet.  It seemed he had made a rather big impression on her when he was able to explain his thought on how to save Purity.

Eric: Hornet, glad you could make it.  Your sister is having a one on one duel against Zuikaku.  She did have the upper hand, but it seems like she has overworked herself.

He then saw the girl right next to her, holding what looked like a couple of envelopes.

Eric: Niimi?  Is something wrong?  Something must be wrong.  You would normally call me if something wasn't wrong.

The serious destroyer shook her head, a smile slowly spreading across her face.

Z23: No Commander.  It is not bad new at all.  I do, however, carry some mail.

Eric grabbed the mail and began to look at it.  It was only two pieces of mail, but his heart skipped a beat when he saw what both of them said on the envelopes.  One was from the little lab that Yuubari ran.

Eric: *thoughts* Probably telling me that the project is almost completed, if their projections are correct.

The other letter had big red blocky letters on it that read Priority Mission.  Eric ripped the flap open and took out a sheet of paper.  It read:

To the Commander of the Pacific Base,

We have reports that there is a fleet of Siren ships to the southwest of your location.  They have been massing for the past day, so expect fierce resistance.  We are also detecting high amounts of energy, higher than most Siren forces we have faced before.  There is possibly an advisor waiting for anyone who dares to enter this region of water.  Make sure you are well prepared for combat.