chapter-5

As it turned out, things really could continue to go wrong. It had been a week since Jungkook was fired and he was still trying to find a new job, again. During this week of no work, Jungkook had spiraled down, becoming more upset each day he came home without a schedule of work hours in his hand. He began to eat more, much more than he should. He started to run low on groceries, the gift from his mysterious benefactor practically gone.

It would be okay, or at least that was what Jungkook kept telling himself. He had to force himself to cut down his meals to two a day. He only showered once or twice a week, having to keep his water bill as low as he can. He treasured his new shoes, his blanket, and his space heater. These little luxuries were enough to keep Jungkook going each day.

Jungkook began his day as usual, a small breakfast and a sponge bath, followed by changing into a semi-clean shirt and slipping his thick bracelet (a gift from Yugyeom before they lost contact) over his right wrist, completely covering his mark.

He began his walk down the street, heading towards the main strip of shops in town. He spent hours looking for open job positions and interviews but after six failed attempts Jungkook was feeling a little discouraged. He trudged down the street, stomach clenching painfully as his hunger grew.

He decided that maybe he should head home, curl up next to his little space heater, and burrito himself in his blanket as he wallowed in self-pity, when a small help needed sign caught his attention.

The small sign, printed on a single piece of printer paper, was taped onto the front window of the town’s library, the one Jimin and Hoseok had exited out of the last time he saw them. It was a small building, a few books placed on stands at the front to showcase their selection. The sign was peeling above the door, the first ‘R’ practically nonexistent.

Jungkook contemplated, shuffling from foot to foot to stay warm as he stood outside the building. After a minute, Jungkook caved, entering the building and audibly sighing at the wave of warmth that hit him.

Only a few people dotted the library: a group of three children huddled in bean bag chairs in the back of the room, two college students weaving in and out of the book shelves with textbooks stacked high, and a single male sitting at one of the desktops with headphones on.

Jungkook looked over at the front desk where a man sat, his face hidden by a book. Jungkook assumed he worked there, taking small tentative steps towards the desk. Jungkook approached, standing awkwardly for a few seconds as the man seemed to not notice his presence. Jungkook cleared his throat, peering around the book slightly.

“Uh, excuse me?” Jungkook whispered, putting on a large smile when the man looked his way. “I’m here to inquire about the help wanted sign?”

The confusion on the man’s face disappeared as he smiled brightly, an adorable pair of dimples appearing.

“Oh thank god! I was wondering when someone would finally come in.” The man sighed in relief, closing his book and setting it aside. He stood, brushing down his knitted sweater vest and adjusting his glasses. He was maybe an inch or two taller than Jungkook, with purple hair swept off his forehead. “I’m Namjoon, the librarian here. You are?”

Namjoon outstretched his hand, and Jungkook quickly shook it. “Jungkook.”

“Well, nice to meet you, Jungkook.” Namjoon dropped his hand, sweeping up a few loose papers in his hands. “Let’s go talk somewhere quieter, hm?”

Namjoon then began to walk towards a door behind the desk, probably his office. It took Jungkook a few seconds to understand that Namjoon had just told a joke. He chuckled under his breath, scurrying to follow after the man.