thirty one

august 9, 2020
MEL DIALED JJ'S NUMBER AND PRESSED CALL.

"hey, are you on your way to the beach?" jj asked.

"jj, i need you" her voice was shaky

"mel, are you okay?" he asked.

"no, please i need you" mel had more warm tears pouring out of her eyes.

"okay im on my way" jj said.

"ill be right there baby" jj reassured, he had no idea what happened but he could tell it was bad.

A few minutes later there was a knock on the door, then she heard it open. "melody!" jj called out, looking around the house for her, she took a deep breath, walked out of the bathroom and locked eyes with jj. She saw his expression change in a matter of seconds. "jj" she whispered. "w-what happened?" he rushed over to her. He saw the hurt in her eyes, he saw her cheeks bruised and stained with tears. He didnt wait for an answer. He grabbed the first aid kit and began cleaning the cuts. He was confused why she didn't flinch or hiss in pain when he did it. The answer, she had done it for so long it didnt hurt. After he finished, she avoided eye contact with him. "who did this to you?" he asked. "my mom" she mumbled, but not loud enough for him to hear. "who?" he asked again.
"my mom" she said louder. He looked at her sad and a little angry.

"how long has she been hitting you?" he questions and melody sighs.

"since my dad died" she answered and he ran a hand through his hair

"does anyone know?"

"no"

"all those times you made up shit? wh-why didn't you tell anyone?", he cups her face in his hands.

"im sorry" she whispers, he wipes her tears with his thumb.

He wraps his arms around her, one hand on her back, the other on her head. She sobbed into his chest. The two stayed like that until she calmed down.