16

Luke

I'm leaving my house
now, and should be there
in about 5-10 minutes.

Alright, I'll meet
you there.

Drive safe.

Thanks :)

-

I closed out my messages and put my phone into the cupholder that held some paper straw rubbish and receipts. The air was already a little chilly out as the hours inched closer and closer to the winter months.

The thick material of my brown cargo pants and white hoodie kept my body warm as I waited for some cars to pass before backing out of my driveway.

I thought about what my cousin and Nick had talked to me about earlier and how that was technically a "date". I had thought that Luke had been acting a little more differently recently but it hadn't crossed my mind until now.

Yet, I haven't completely thought of him as someone that I would date, but maybe after tonight that would change my mind.

-

Before I knew it, I was just around the block from the cafe. The autopilot in my brain turned off as I found that I now have to go through with this plan that Luke and I had curated. I looked around the small parking lot and could see Luke's car that sat in front of the double glass swinging doors for the 24-hour cafe. I parked next to him so that he would get the hint that I arrived.

-

I sat at one of the tables in the back corner of the cafe where it was more quiet with less distractions. I had told the lady that I would order when my plus one had arrived, which made her quickly scurry off into the small kitchen that was hidden behind the short curtains.

That was when I saw Y/n's car pull into the parking lot, her headlights shining through the store's giant, pristine glass windows that lined the cafe's wall. I stared out of it as I waited for Y/n to emerge, that was when it felt like I had been watching for too long.

I saw the way her hair was put up neatly, and her clothes looked cozy. She came out of her car with a white hoodie, brown cargo pants, and white air force one's. The same outfit I wore to the movies when the two of us went to accompany Nick and Corey. A tote bag was slung over her shoulder as she locked her car. The yellow flashing lights pulled me back to reality and looked away back to my phone.

The door's small bell rang as she entered, her shoes tapping on the hardwood floors before being met with the waitress that was helping me earlier. Their soft chatter heard before I waved to Y/n who quickly saw me and walked over, the waitress following behind her to take our order.

"Take a seat." I said with a smile, which she quickly followed.

"How may I help you two today?" The waitress asked, her happy side directed toward me.

"I'll just take a cup of coffee please." I asked, which she quickly wrote down.

"I'll take a cup of coffee as well." I heard Y/n say from across from me, which the waitress quickly jotted down and walked off to get the orders.

The two of us took out our computers and plugged the chargers into the outlet that sat below the table between us. I sighed as I opened the document that had all of our notes on.

"You okay?" I heard Y/n ask me.

"Yeah, I just wished our teacher gave us more time to finish this project." I said, scratching at the stubble on my face.

"Yeah, but we get to spend more time together." She said sarcastically which made me scoff.

"Yeah, like I would want to spend more time with you." I replied in the same tone which made her roll her eyes with a smile.

-

We had ordered different things from this cafe about four times now, which is pretty reasonable considering we had been here for almost six hours now. We were at the peak of our working time. The project going much smoother after learning the coding lines and where we had made mistakes.

My mom had called me about ten times, to which every time I had responded with,

"Call back in an hour and I'll tell you where we're at." To which she had never followed except for these past two times because it was getting later, which meant that she was getting more and more tired.

I looked up from my computer to see him on his phone. 'Maybe I should take a break too.' I thought as I rubbed the bridge of my nose.

"I like your fit by the way." I heard him say from across the table.

"Thanks?"

"Looks familiar..." He said, a smile pulling at the edges of his mouth.

"What?" I asked, confused, before he flipped his phone around to show me a picture. The one of us at the mall with our sunglasses.

"Oh-" I said slightly embarrassed that I completely took his outfit idea. "Sorry it's just that it looked nice, and-" I said, my rambling starting to kick in.

"So, I looked nice?" He asked cutting me off, his eyebrow raised as he asked.

"I mean, um." I stuttered trying to come up with a good answer.

"I'll take that as a yes." He said not bothering to wait any longer, which made my mouth and thoughts shut up.

"Yeah." I muttered under my breath before turning my phone on to check my instagram, when I clicked on Luke's story to find a picture of me staring at my computer screen with the words "the best project buddy :)" typed out on the bottom.