Chapter 1

It was quite cold outside and I could see my breath in the air. I stuck my hands between my legs over the skirt, trying to keep them warm. Shay pulled out the two seasonal fruit salads and placed them next to her.

There was a bit of sun, shining over the school as well and the tiny garden where Shay and I sat during lunchtime.

It was a beautiful day, and despite the bit of disagreement I had with my English teacher about how my opinion on Hamlet during today's class can be wrong when it's my opinion, I was dedicated to having a good day.

Shay had told me all about the glamorous fashion outfits and bags she got, working part-time as a model and I was contemplating which one to borrow first.

But just like I had jinxed it, the most despicable person I knew passed by our spot.

Her presence alone, spites me. Her walking gives me the most irritating chills and those shoes..well those were okay but.. Her whole demeanor was enough to ruin my day.

It was my biggest nemesis.

Bradberry.

Elif Bradberry.

There are many popular and smart girls in the school. All of them were pretty, smart, charming, all of them with their unique characteristics, but my biggest enemy was Bradberry.

Because Bradberry has everything I want. She's the student body president. The one who runs the school.

The position holds power in the school like no other. You run the school government and tomorrow you can run the world.

In a private school like mine, having that position was like making a name for yourself before you put yourself out there in the world. It was like the coronation of a young heir.

And Bradberry wore the crown that I deserved.

It just wasn't fair. She was already a senior. She had her fun all these years. Now it was time for someone new to reign the school.

And what better person than me.

The worst thing was Bradberry didn't even know I existed. She walked with her head held high, laughing with her friends in a snobbish way.

I was staring at her so intensely that I could feel the inner corners of my eyes burning.

If any outsiders could see it, they would write it off like jealousy, but Shay knew exactly why I was so passionate about it.

It was my biggest secret, biggest weakness and fear. But also my motivation for striving for the top.

"She's gone now." Shay pulled my hand down. I had unawarely squeezed the fork in a tight grip.