Marked

I felt my stomach drop. Yes, I know who the De Leons' are. Their very name is terrifying to even think about. You'd think the mafia didn't have as tight of a hold on New York as the 70's or 80's. In reality, it has never been tighter. Though they've had no effect on my life and I've yet to meet or associate with any member of their mafia, I knew this would change everything. I couldn't risk getting involved in another dangerous mans' life.

"Wait, wait, wait....." I put my hands up. "The De Leons'? A- as in Lorenzo De Leon?" I'm almost surprised I wasn't about to have an episode. This news was heart wrenching but I truly felt nothing but pure shock.

"Evelyn, we're not in danger.... And more importantly you aren't in trouble. But I need you. Your talent is going to help this company earn back it's debt," Ioana explains, her hands together like she's trying to get the point across.

"Miss Aldea.... I don't know what you expect me to do.... But I cannot be involved with the mafia in any way, shape or form," I put my hands up once again, surrendering and backing up. She shakes her head, pleading with her eyes as she moves closer to me.

"Evelyn, listen... this isn't your fight, I completely understand. But I need you, and your talent cannot go unnoticed," she acknowledges the award on the wall. "They want to make your story into a book, Evelyn! A published piece! You can do that here." I lean over, putting my hands on my knees.

I'm gonna be sick.

I would be an idiot to stay here.

She walks over, getting closer to me. I sit up, wrapping my arms around me.

"I'll stay for today and think it over. But you need to know, Miss Aldea.... I cannot, under any circumstances, no matter the talent I have and the name I could make myself with your company, be involved with those people." She nods quickly, mumbling 'thank yous'.

We sit in silence, not looking at each other for a while. I have no words for her. There is no way I can stay here, knowing what I know. How is she in debt with the De Leons'? Did she screw them over? Did she take out a loan..... Or a hit on someone?

"Ioana," I finally speak up, taking a seat on the couch. She looks up from her hands that were previously holding her face.

"How.... did you get into debt?" I breathe out, almost unable to believe it. She sighs, straightening up and leaning forward on the couch.

"It was... late one night," she begins, her voice low. "I was 29, tired and trying to get this short story done by 1 in the morning. I heard glass break and naive me went to investigate. This was all when I just started the company so it made no sense that it was a fan or anything like that." I could see her fiddling with her hands. This was definitely something hard to talk about.

"When I got to where I heard the noise, there were four men, guns in hand, nice suits on and smirks on their faces as I came around the corner. They asked me if I was Ioana Aldea. I backed up, which was the moment I realized what I'd done. They jumped at me, tied me down to a chair and tortured me for an hour, asking me questions about my father-" her voice chokes up. I look down at my knees, wanting to make her more comfortable.

"Was it the De Leons' who did it?" She shakes her head quickly.

"No... no they were the ones' who kept me alive," she looks up at me. I frown my eyebrows, confused. Where the hell are you getting at?

"Before Lorenzo was running the mob, it was his father- Matias Lorenzo." I suck in a sharp breath at his name. Yes, Lorenzo is the devil.... But his father might as well be satan. His reign in the Mob left the city cowering in fear for years. Going out to clubs and bars was something nobody could do with peace of mind without the fear that they would be tracked down for even the simplest side look. She clears her throat, wanting to go on.