Debt

Once I get to the office, I see everyone running around, laughing, writing, interviewing, snapping pictures in front of a white backdrop and lights everywhere.

This was nothing like how I imagined it. To be honest, I didn't know what I imagined a publishing company to look like.

"Miss Taylor," a sweet voice behind me voices. I turn around, a smile on my face. A young woman with a soft smile and full head of the lightest, ash blonde hair is standing with a file in front of her.

"My name is Devon and I'm going to be your assistant for anything you need." I widen my eyes and part my lips slightly.

"I- I wasn't aware the assistant got an assistant," I smile nervously. She giggles, turning slightly, wanting me to follow her.

"When you work for someone as important as Ioana, it's smart to have someone working under you to do the things you can't get to," she explains, leading me down the hall. I giggle and nod.

"It is smart." We get to a double set of glass doors, leading into this luxurious office with white carpet, shiny wood furniture and windows overlooking the bay. I set my bag down and walk over to the windows.

"Holy shit," I whisper. Devon giggles, walking over.

"Yup, Ioana fought to get this building because of this room right here. She would've taken it for herself-" she leans over, still looking out the window- "but then she realized she wanted it for someone she really felt deserved it." I turn to her, my brows frowned.

"But I- I haven't even been here a day. How did I get this office?" She opens her file and pulls out a cardstock piece of paper. She hands it to me with a small smile on her face.

"You won the Young Authors National Short Story Competition. Your story is the top in the nation and you've barely entered your 20s'." I drop my mouth, taking the paper.

My name is written in bold letters on the thick paper. She puts the file under her arm then begins clapping. I smile and lean my head back, looking up at the ceiling. I did it Mama. I did it Dad.

"Miss Ioana will want to see you soon but she understands if you want to get settled in and get used to your new office," Devon explains.

"My office is just outside yours on the left. I'm here for whatever you need." I look back down and take a deep breath.

"Thank you. Really... thank you," I fold my hands in front of me. She smiles and bows her head slightly. She leaves and closes the doors behind her.

Though the doors are only glass and I can see the entire office, no noise comes through the glass. It's silent, leaving me with the slight hiss of my monitor and deep breathing from my nose.

"Holy shit," I whisper.

What just happened?

This all was happening so fast. The storm brewing in my head from my episode and now the shock and excitement from the reward. It was all overwhelming. What if I ruin this? What if this was a one time thing? What if-

"Miss Taylor?" a husky voice questions from in front of me, breaking ymt thought process.. I glance up, the boy from yesterday standing in the doorway, arms crossed and smile on his lips. I smile and set the file on my desk before walking over to him.

"I should've known you were important when I saw you in the elevator yesterday," he chuckles, walking in. I sigh, nodding.

"It's not what I expected," I shrug, turning and walking with him to the large wall of windows behind my desk. He widens his eyes slightly, impressed.