Opportunity

New story!! Please be kind and considerate when reading and giving feedback. I am still very new at this and would love criticism but I'm also a human being with feelings. There are strong trigger warnings such as sexual abuse, drugs, drinking, and other toxic situations. This is a very mature story so if you read it, don't say I didn't forewarn you! Alright amores, enjoy!!

____________________________

I didn't expect my life to go the way it had.

Being an orphan for most of my life, I always assumed I'd always just be on my own. When he came along, it wasn't in a romantic way like I'd read in the books.

It was dark, bloody and terrifying. He dragged me into his life of death and drugs, surrounded by flashing lights and alcoholics.

I wanted to leave.

I wanted to go back to my quiet dorm room and lay in a warm bath with bubbles and a glass of wine.

But he dragged me to that club, put me in a dress that attracted the attention of dangerous men and showed me off as if I were his.

To be clear, I belonged to nobody.

I belong to nobody.

When one is alone as long as I was, you learn that the only person who will ever be there for you is yourself.

The tears, pain, and blood he cause me would never make me change my image of him in the end though.

Holding his hand now as he rubs my head, laying my hair down flat, makes everything seem alright.

His large hands warm against my head, making all the pain melt away as his eyes melt mine.

Maybe I will be okay?

Or maybe these tears are meant to be the last thing my body allows me to do.

____________________________

My breath echoes in my ears as my heels echo through the hall, walking me towards the large, elegant doors.

"Don't be nervous. Don't be nervous. You're perfect for this job, Eve," I whisper to myself.

I knock on the door once I arrive, a quick "enter" following. I open the door then fold my hands in front of me.

The woman turns from the window, a smile on her face.

"Well aren't you a pretty little thing," she slys. I chuckle, a nervous laugh more or less.

She was a middle aged woman, washed out brown hair and a skinny body. It wasn't an ideal situation being here but if it's on the way to the top, it's something I have to do.

"Come sit down, Miss Taylor." I take a seat on the opposite side of her, folding my legs and pulling down the hem of my skirt.

"I'll cut to the chase, Miss Taylor," the woman strains, taking a seat behind the desk. "I want you to start writing for me." I smile, my eyes wide.

"You're beautiful, over qualified, and your short story was so intriguing I sent it into the Young Authors National Short Story competition," she admits, laying a file in front of me.

I widen my eyes wider, dropping my smile.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand. You sent my story into the Y.A.N.S competition? What for?" She chuckles, leaning back on her chair.

"Because I wanted to brag that a young girl with your talent is working for my organization. I can take you far, Miss Taylor, I just need you to accept the offer."