Chapter 34

Skylar's POV

Nervous is the only word that describes how I feel at the moment. If things don't go as planned today, I might just be exposed for who I really am to my friends.

I sigh as I pack my fighting gear, my usual escape outfit and an empty backpack into another backpack. Thank goodness it doesn't look cramped or else it will raise a lot of suspicion.

I make my way downstairs and into the kitchen where my father is preparing dinner for us. It's not that I can't cook, I'm honestly not bad at it. My dad just prefers to cook, he says it is a way to connect him to mom as she loved being in the kitchen.

"I'm leaving now dad." I inform him and he quickly shoots his head up to look at me

"Aren't you going to eat first?" He asks with concern playing in his eyes

"I'll possibly eat where I'm going to dad, don't worry about me. But store some for me for when I get back please, just in case." I answer.

"Alright but be safe and come back soon and in one piece. I love you." He tells me and comes around the counter to give me a kiss on the forehead and a hug

I feel bad that I can't tell my dad anything but I always remember why I'm keeping this from him and that's enough for me to seal my lips.

"I love you too dad. I'll be safe, I have pepper spray in case anyone tries to act funny with me." I give him a huge smile, assuring him.

"Alright." He says before he lets me go

I walk into the living room where Sergiana is playing with her dolls and I kneel down facing her.

"Skylar, are you going to play with me?" She shyly asks. Looking briefly at me and down again.

Giana has always been very shy, hence why she doesn't really speak and she's five. Sometimes I blame myself for it due to my always busy schedule and my dad's as well. She never has anyone to play with nor interact with unless we go to the park where the other kids are at. Even her teachers say she always keeps to herself and hardly plays with the other kids.

"Not today baby." I said resulting in her pouting and her lip trembling slightly, breaking my heart in the process.

"Come here." I hold out my arms for her to walk into. She's hesitant at first but she gets up and makes her way towards me.

"I know I haven't been playing with you a lot lately but I will make it up to you okay? Tell you what, I'm not working tomorrow so when I come back from school, we can play all you want." She looks at me like I just bought her a new doll house, her smile wide.

"Pinky promise Skylar?"

"Pinky promise." I lift my pinky as she does the same and we hook them together taking turns to kiss on our hands before breaking apart.

"I love you okay." I remind her and she kisses my cheek before telling me she loves me as well. "I'll see you later baby, take care of daddy okay?" She nods and I smile at her getting up.

I walk towards the door and grab my backpack slinging it over my shoulder, and opening the door to find the others waiting for me all cramped up in Kendrick's car.