Surprise Test

No One's POV

"Come on, can't we just stop walking for atleast a few minutes?" A short girl wearing a white fox mask that has two blue flowers painted on its left-hand side.

The boy in front wearing the same coloured fox mask but it has a large scar instead of flowers. He sighed as he turns around at the girl who is lagging behind him a bit. "Didn't we do this like as an everyday routine back then? So what's the different from now and back then?" He responded back.

"But I just want to sit down and relax for a bit. It's been a long time since we've stopped and enjoyed the air and scenery of Mt. Sagiri once again. Come on please?" She asked him with puppy dog eyes. He saw this and can't took his eyes of her for a few seconds until he sighed in defeat. He went beside her and sat down on a rock.

"10 minutes and that's it okay? We can't afford for Master to wait any longer than what we told him." He said as he took off his katana from his side and puts it down on the ground. The girl also did the same as he did and the two enjoyed their time with each other.

*Timeskip brought to you by Fox Masks*

Meanwhile with Tanjiro...

"Urokodaki-san! I'll be heading out to train." Tanjiro shouted as Sakonji comes out from the back, carrying chopped logs. He just gave him a nod and went inside his house while Tanjiro walks the path that headed up the mountains.

He followed the path and at it's end is where there's a big opening of the forest. This is the place where he used to train along with Sakonji before and destroyed the boulder with his punch although he fell unconscious that time. He stood at the center of the opening, where the huge boulder once was, and took a few breaths. Reminiscing all of what he had gone through for the past few days after becoming Sakonji's apprentice, he promised to get stronger not only for the upcoming Final Selection but also to protect his last remaining member of his deceased family, Nezuko.

Just as he was about to start warming up, he side-step at the last moment before a gush of dust and wind occurred towards his left away from him and he immediately backflipped away as a long blade that would've cut him in half. A person's silhouette appears after the wind died down and rushed Tanjiro quickly that he appeared right in front of him, ducked down, and swung his katana from his side towards his neck  but Tanjiro was quicker. He dodged the attack by leaning backwards, much to the person's surprise, and Tanjiro went for a swing for his own that would leave a shallow cut on their front. He was quickly intercepted by another person, who is smaller than he is, with her own katana while using the other person's back as a stepping stone. After the clash, the two jump back to retreat with Tanjiro standing his ground as he held his katana beside him.

"Hey! What was that all about?! Why are you attacking me out of nowhere!? And who are you two?" Tanjiro asked them as they remained silent. "If you won't answer who you are, atleast tell me why you attacked me out of nowhere? I'm also a swordsman like you two." He stated.

The little girl then asked him. "Sorry but we can't answer your questions right now... Tanjiro-san." He was a bit surprised that she knew his name but remained calm. "Like they say... The only way to know a swordsman is by exchanging blows." 

She charges in with her katana while her partner jumped towards the tree. He used the tree as a stepping stone and increased his speed as he surrounds Tanjiro. The girl swung her sword as Tanjiro blocked it with his own. To his surprise, the girl used the recoil to launch herself away from Tanjiro. He tried to go after her but the guy who was circling him using the trees appeared behind him, exchanging blows with each other. The boy raised his sword but waited for a moment. Tanjiro seeing this, made him jump backwards and spun around to meet the girl who was waiting for an opening at his back. The girl flinched but before Tanjiro could take anymore action he felt an intent to kill behind him. He added more strength to make a 180 degree turn, pushing both of them backwards. And with that, the two were have been defeated.

With just one swing, the girl got a few scratches in her arms and a small blood trail in her forehead going down her left eye as the mask falls off. Meanwhile with the boy, he was still standing but barely using his katana as a walking stick. He is covered in scratches just from the knockback of what Tanjiro did to him and he is bleeding more than the girl. He felt a bit guilty for almost killing them off as he sheaths his katana and scratches the back of his neck.

The guy was in pain and Tanjiro both knows it and smells a bit of fear from him. "What... are you standing... there for..? Just finish the job... You Fox... Demon..." The guy suddenly spoke to him as he fell unconscious then onto the ground.

Tanjiro flinched a bit due to the fact that they know he was the fox demon despite the mask and his demon presence erased. He smiled a bit before taking out a roll of cloth and bandages using two of his skeletal tails. He first went to the boy and bandaged him up then he did the same to the girl. After bandaging both of them, the two of them are still asleep. 

"Leaving them as they are now, it will get troublesome if the demons around here, even though I thinned some of them out last time I went out. Hmmm?" He took a look at the mask they were wearing and figured that they were the same white mask like his but the designs were different. He also smelt a familiar scent on the mask and decided to carry both of them. He carried the girl on his arms while the boy on his back, with his skeletal tails securing him so that he wouldn't fall off. He left his usual training place and towards Sakonji's place.

TBC