24th December - Dennis Hauger

Requested by Rosie_Albon

5: "I can't think of a better way to spend Christmas Eve than being cuddled with our child whilst we watch Christmas movies."

Christmas songs were echoing around the kitchen of yourself and your husband Dennis that Christmas Eve Night as the two of you goofily danced to them, Dennis occasionally twirling you around. After a while you noticed that the two of you had coincidently stopped in the doorway to the living room. It was at that moment when the now retired Red Bull F1 driver turned off the music as he looked into the living room at your seventeen year old daughter, who had her eyes glued to her phone, Dennis letting out a small sigh because he just wished that she would have joined in the festive celebrations with you both, which you wouldn't have hesitated to do when she was younger.

"I admit I was the same when I was your age, but I thought you'd at least put your phone down for a while to be daft with me and your mum," Dennis spoke up hopelessly, your daughter only seeming to realise that the two of you entered the room when her body jolted with surprise as Dennis sat down on the sofa beside her. "It seems like you're having a lot more of a boring time in here than we were in there."

"I don't want to watch you dance because I'd never be able to get that image out of my head. It's funny when you're half drunk, but your sober dancing is just so embarrassing, Dad," your daughter replied with disgust as a shiver ran down her spine.

Yourself and Dennis let out a few chuckles under your breath as you exchanged a brief affectionate glance, both of you thinking about how much you could see your younger selves in your daughter. It was once you had stopped that a cheeky grin spread across your lips as you thought of an idea which would have been a lovely one, but once which you were going to tease your daughter with because you knew she would never agree to it.

"I can't think of a better way to spend Christmas Eve than being cuddled with our little girl whilst we watch Christmas movies," you said warmly to Dennis, your head luckily being turned away from your daughter because you felt as if you were about to burst into laughter, but luckily being able to contain it.

"What? No way!" Your daughter exclaimed with outrage as she got to her feet and distanced herself from the two of you. "I'm too old for those movies and you'll probably put photos of us on your socials which would be so embarrassing, especially since I'm racing in F3 next season. People wouldn't be able to take me seriously!"

"We won't be posting any photos because no phones are allowed and you're never too old to watch Christmas movies. We know you secretly watch them in your bedroom every year," replied Dennis reassuringly, followed by a mischievous grin spreading across his lips with his final sentence.

Dennis then made his way back over to your daughter and tightly wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his chest, before he began to repeatedly plead for her to come upstairs with you both. She was struggling to prevent a smile from spreading across her lips by the second as she was never able to deny her father when he was being affectionate, your daughter continuing to be a daddy's girl, just like she always was, the love which was on display between them, which she only allowed to happen behind closed doors, never failing to melt your heart.

"Fine, we can watch Christmas movies together, but you can't tell anyone about this. The guys who I race against already tease me because they think I'm too soft," your daughter responded with a slight whine.

"We won't tell anyone, but just remember, you're a Hauger, you drive like me. We might be off it, but we're certainly not soft on the track," replied Dennis comfortingly, this reminder causing your daughter to let out her soft side and keep an arm wrapped around her dad as the three of you made your way upstairs.

To your surprise, once you were all comfy in yours and Dennis' bed, your daughter being in the middle, and once the movie had started, she completely turned her back to you as snuggled with her dad, you being too busy watching them than the movie. By the end of it, none of you could say what happened during the movie, you turning onto your side and wrapping an arm around each of them, making you all lost in each other's affectionate embrace.

"I love you, Dad," your daughter muttered sweetly into Dennis' chest, causing Dennis to beam down at her because she may have told him that frequently as a child, but as she got older, those occasions were becoming increasingly less. "Oh, and I love you too, Mum."