8th December - Esteban Ocon

Requested by luminousmoonlight

24: "Do you mind me asking why you keep coming into my shop? You leave every time without buying anything."

Being the owner of a small, unique shop in your local, busy city centre, you witnessed thousands of customers coming and going throughout the year, this especially being the case at this time of year, Christmas time. Many people had pointed out to you that they would buy the Christmas ornaments which you made yourself and sold year after year, but you were unfortunately unable to remember these people, however, this year, you couldn't help but notice that the same customer would come into your shop day after day, but he had never once bought anything. Instead, he would just walk around and spend ages admiring the ornaments which he had many times before, or if he didn't do that, he would stand at the back and discretely smile warmly at you. This may seem incredibly creepy and bizarre, but the young man who was around your age seemed to be anything but, you being able to tell by his expression that he was one of the kindest, sweetest people imaginable.

The man would always consider himself to be well out of sight, thinking that he blended well into the crowds of people. He was gone by the time most people would clear away for the evening, but on this particular evening, he stayed exactly where he had been all day, leaning against the back wall by the door and it eventually being just the two of you. As nice he seemed to you, it was as you were doing your final checks, making sure that everything was where it should be as well as emptying your till, that you began to feel uncomfortable, wondering if you should finally speak up and say something to him.

"Hi, can I ask you something?" You asked softly, you barely having the courage to allow the words to leave your lips because of how nervous he, for some reason, caused you to feel once you had emerged behind your till from being in the back room. "Do you mind me asking why you keep coming into my shop? You leave every time without buying anything."

"You're the one who's nervous about talking to me?" The man asked in surprise, it slightly frustrating you that he responded to your question with another until his words sunk in. "If you want me to buy something for me to be able to come in, I will, but I keep coming in to see you. I'd always notice how cheerful and festive you seem through the window and I came in to have a closer look at how dedicated and passionate you are about your work. I don't even know your name yet and I already think you're an admirable person for starting this small business by yourself and making it is successful as it is."

Your heart melted at the man's words because your hard work and dedication had never been recognised before. You were beginning to wonder how this man had so much time on his hands over Christmas and why he wasn't working like many others, but it was as you were about to reply to him that he removed his hat and his scarf, the guy removing his disguise to reveal that your favourite F1 driver, Esteban Ocon was standing in front of you.

"No way, it can't be, Esteban Ocon?" You asked in amazement under your breath, before you quickly stopped speaking because you didn't want to appear as if you were some sort of obsessive fangirl. "I'm sorry for saying that before even responding to you, but those things are some of the nicest anyone has ever said to me and even if you weren't who you are, you don't need to buy anything to come in here, I was just wondering why you kept coming in. I really am flattered."

Esteban let out a few warm chuckles at the sound of your nervous rambling as he nodded his head to confirm that your speculations were correct.

"You know who I am? You follow F1?" Esteban asked enthusiastically as he thought about how he thought it would be impossible for him to like you any more.

"I don't just follow it. I love it. It's my greatest passion," you replied gleefully, a broad smile spreading across your lips from ear to ear because you didn't have anyone around you who you could talk to about F1.

You then remembered the time and began to tidy up once more, Esteban feeling guilty at the realisation of just how much you had to tidy away.

"How about I help with that whilst we talk about the previous season, how amazing the title battle was?" Esteban suggested, causing you to beam at him as your heart began to race in the best possible way, you never having imagined that you would have a conversation with a racing driver.

"I'd love that, but most importantly, I can't wait to hear all about your win in Hungary and how amazing you were in Saudi Arabia, how close you were to getting on the podium," you replied enthusiastically, before yourself and Esteban descended into a flowing, natural conversation about the thing which you both loved the most.

Your conversation even lasted for a few hours, neither of you realising how late it had gotten until you had no choice but to check your phone because of a text that came through. Yourself and Esteban may both have had to go to get some rest, but you both made it known to the other that you intended on spending more time with them, you having never imagined that morning that you would be ending the day with getting an F1 driver's phone number, let alone your favourite.