1st December - Dan Ticktum

Requested by formulaeefx

22: "Mummy! Daddy! I made you something for Christmas."

Standing in the playground of your four year old daughter's nursery was always something which brought your husband, Dan great joy. He may have been surrounded by screaming children, he may have been struggling not to slip on the ice beneath his feet, but he didn't have a care in the world about those things because of how he rarely got the opportunity to pick your daughter up from school because of his career. One of the many reasons why he cherished every single second he would spend with her was because of her enormous sense of humour, your daughter once again demonstrating this as she came out of the building, hobbling over to the two of you as she tried her best to hide something inside the folds of her cardigan which was way too large to fit inside, it appearing as if red wrapping paper was hanging down beneath her cardigan and poking out of the sides.

"What are you hiding, you muppet?" Dan chuckled warmly once she was approaching the two of you, Dan rushing over to her as she took her final steps and crouching down to her height, not seeming to be phased by the snow which now laced the bottom of his trousers.

Before responding, there were a few moments of awkward silence between Dan and your daughter, your heart melting as you watched the two of them beaming at each other as Dan held your daughter closely to him, who didn't hesitate to return the loving embrace with one arm as she needed the other to try her best to hold the item in place.

"Mummy! Daddy! I made you something for Christmas!" Your daughter announced cheerfully after she had waited a few more moments to respond in an attempt to build the suspense.

Rising to his feet, Dan looked over his shoulder at you as he placed your daughter onto his hip, your smile somehow spreading even more widely than their own.

"You didn't have to do that," you replied with surprise, taking a few steps closer to Dan and pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead.

"Well, I did because the teachers told everyone to make presents for their parents today," replied your daughter casually, raising her eyebrows in confusion as she had no idea why yourself and Dan had just burst into laughter due to her bluntness. "But I'm glad we had to do it because I love you so much."

It was then when your daughter removed the wrapped item from inside her cardigan, resting it on her lap in the car as you drove home, a wide grin being spread across her lips from ear to ear as she imagined the two of you opening your present once you were home.

"Can you open it now?" Your daughter squealed with excitement the second you had walked through the door, not even giving you chance to so much as fully close it behind you.

Dan nodded his head with an affectionate smile, before he allowed your daughter to lead him into the living room by the hand, yourself and Dan sitting on the sofa as she held the present out to you, it being in the middle of you because she didn't mind which one of you took it. Her eyes lit up at the realisation that Dan's hand had reached it first because of how much of a daddy's girl she was. As much as Dan wanted to eagerly tare the wrapping paper away, he removed it gradually and slowly because of the unusual shape of the present. Both of your mouths hung slightly agape in amazement once all the wrapping paper was on the ground, your daughter having made a decoration to be hung on your tree, one which had small, generic cars dangling down off it.

"My teacher said F1 cars are too complicated to make and that's the best she could do," your daughter spoke up with disappointment as yourself and Dan were exchanging affectionate glances of awe.

"That doesn't matter, baby. It's absolutely per-" began Dan warmly, before your daughter cut him off his sentence, repeatedly begging to be the one who hung the decoration on the tree.

After lifting her up once more, Dan moved closer to the Christmas tree and your daughter hung it as high up as she was able to reach, you admiring the tree which you now considered to be fully decorated and complete. Your heart sweltered with pride during the next month whilst your tree was up, it being this long since it was only 1st December, but yourself and Dan still didn't think that was long enough to admire your daughter's great work, this being the reason why it became a family Christmas tradition for many years to come that she would be the one to hang it on the tree, it always being the final decoration added.