5th December - Lance Stroll

Requested by Jett_Joan

7: First Christmas together.

Bobbing your head along to the Christmas music on the radio with a wide smile spread across your lips from ear to ear, you were tempted to push your foot down on the accelerator just a little bit harder so that you could get to your parents' home just a little bit quicker. However, it was when you had reached over to turn the radio up even more that you realised your boyfriend of six months, Lance was looking anything but cheerful and festive, Lance looking out of the passengers' window as he nervously fiddled with his fingers, you being surprised at this because you expected that he would be just as gleeful as you were since you had just picked him up from the airport.

"I thought you were looking forward to spending Christmas here with me and my family?" You asked Lance softly, taking your hand off the gearstick and placing it into one of his once you had turned the music completely off. "Is it because you're missing your family? It's okay to admit that you wished you could have stayed in Canada."

"Of course I'm missing them and you know that there's no one else who I want to spend Christmas more with than you, but I suppose I'm just overthinking seeing your family again," Lance explained with a small sigh as he turned his head in your direction so you were no longer looking at the back of it. "I made a good first impression and I just hope that I can continue to impress them, continue to prove to them that I'm the right one for you."

Your heart melted at Lance's words as you gave his hand a comforting squeeze, your broad smile returning once more at how much Lance had just proven that he cares for you, not that he needed to do that.

"You've got nothing to worry about because you know how much they like you. I know you've only ever met them in person once before, but they're always so excited to talk to you when we've video called them during race weekends," you said reassuringly, your words causing Lance's body to relax as he let out a small sigh of relief under his breath, that reminder being exactly what he needed to hear.

A smile spread across Lance's face that was as wide as your previous one as he turned the volume of the music up, allowing himself to get into the festive mood at the thought of how welcoming your family always were to him and how he was worrying over nothing. For the rest of the journey, yourself and Lance sang along to the songs, sharing flirtatious glances every once in a while and entwining your fingers whenever you didn't need to change gears.

The Christmas songs may have stopped in your car once you had pulled up outside of your parents' house, but as soon as the two of you began to walk up the path, Christmas music filled your ears once more, but this time, it was muffled because it was coming from inside. Once you had knocked on the door, you looked through the living room window to see that your front room was a complete mess, you watching your mother trying her best to rush to get to the door as she was tripping over decorations which laced the cosy, carpeted floor.

"Lance! Hello!" She exclaimed warmly, it seeming as if she had completely forgotten about you for a moment as she welcomingly flung her arms tightly around him.

The two of them were smiling from ear to ear as they melted into the embrace, it seeming as if they had known each other for many years, this being the case until you had jokingly cleared your throat from beside Lance.

"Hi, Mum. Oh, hi, Y/N. I've missed you too," you said sarcastically with a small giggle.

After letting go of Lance, your mother playfully slapped you on the arm, before she embraced you tightly, showering your face with soft kisses which caused your cheeks to flush scarlet, but you had nothing to be embarrassed about because witnessing your strong bond only caused Lance's heart to skip a beat.

"You've got no idea how much I've missed you, baby," your mother said lovingly in response to your sarcasm as she lead yourself and Lance into the living room.

You beamed as you noticed your father in the corner, who was wrapping tinsel around the Christmas tree, the sight causing childhood memoires to flood back to you because that was his job at this time every year. Your joyfully cleared your throat once more, causing him to turn around and rush towards you, twirling you around in his arms and embracing you tightly, before he shared a manly hug with Lance.

The four of you spend the afternoon continuing to put the decorations up, Lance loving how warm and welcoming your family were because they would always include him, asking him to do things for them, as well as asking for his input about how things looked and if there was anything he wanted to change. Lance felt more comfortable than he ever thought possible in someone else's home, he felt like he was home and as if he was around family, which your parents considered him to be by the end of your trip.