A tempting Smell

He was there when it happened. He had seen the skeleton's body slowly float to the ground, a cloud of green magic around it. By the rate the fisherman would have bled out before he was deep enough for the other leviathans to notice. Besides, he couldn't allow such an interesting being to die such an insignificant death. That would be a waste.

He led gently through the water and approached the bleeding skeleton. The smell of his magic was enticing and made him want to keep the skeleton to himself. But he knew he couldn't. If he tried that, he'd have some angry mers on his neck. It was also more amusing to watch the most powerful beings in the world line up like newborns when it came to crushing on the fisherman. And he wanted to watch it a little longer.

Carefully, so as not to get too much of the scent of the skeleton, he slowly pulled the skeleton to a depth in which it should not be a problem for the Leviathans to smell his magic. Who knows, maybe it would be the small sharks who got a sniff of the tempting magic of the skeleton first?

It wouldn't be noticed if he borrowed the skeleton for a short time, would it? It wouldn't be for long either, he just wanted a taste of this tempting soul that was practically trying to seduce him.

No no, he has to pull himself together. There would be more trouble than advantage if he tried to take on the Leviathan's treasure now. He would have to save the idea for later to get a bite of this soul. Now he had to go. He could feel the Leviathans approach.

At a safe distance he could see how the Leviathans frolicked frantically around the fisherman and were apparently too panicked to be able to think logically. If they keep doing this, their little darling will be dead before they've tried anything. But it seems that the skeleton has a guardian angel in the form of a selkie with a large scar on its chest. He didn't understand what the Selkie was saying to the Leviathans, but apparently it was convincing enough to get the Leviathans out of their panic. He watched them pull the injured skeleton lower down, probably towards the rest of the group. He followed them down with curiosity. He really didn't want to miss out on what they were going to do to save the little skeleton.

At a slower pace to make sure he wasn't seen, he followed the group of Leviathans. He arrived later because of that, but still in time for the main attraction. He could see the sea moving under the combined magic of the Leviathans, lashing around the fisherman and swallowing him in a little vortex. More and more magic was poured into the vortex until the sea became still again. With an impressed whistle, he watched the Leviathans approach the newborn Kelpie. He admitted that he didn't expect them to really transform the fisherman. It was so rare that the Leviathans agreed enough to turn someone into a mer. The last time was centuries ago, after the war, when all five of them were immature teenagers. And basically EVERYONE knew how that had ended. So it was a surprise that they actually tried one more time. He had expected that maybe they were just trying to heal him. At least Sunshine and Little Blue could heal, despite the fact that they were male and healing magic was left to the few women.

This new kelpie would definitely bring a breath of fresh air to the ocean. He could already feel it, the calm before the storm that this newborn Mer would cause.

When the Leviathans lay down on the sleeping Kelpie, he felt it was time to go. Who knows how long he could go unnoticed. And he already knew exactly who he wanted to visit.

"Fresh!" Exclaimed Lust, a jellyfish mer with a pink-violet umbrella and turquoise arms, excited when he saw the soul-eating parasite in the body of a selkie. Pleased to see his favorite jellyfish, HE_YO appeared on Fresh glasses. "What brings you to me? You seem excited."

"You know, Broskie, a big change is imminent for everyone.", he said with a small grin as he looked at his jellyfish friend. “But as I can see Wine has finally made his move! Congratulations to you, Broskie."

"Actually..." With a small, amorous smile, Lust rubbed his neck, exactly where a mating mark was proudly emblazoned. "Actually, Coffee made the first move."

Fresh glasses turned to NO_WAY in his surprise. "Shy Dude did that? I would have thought he'd wait for you and Wine to do it first. Who would have thought that…" Fresh sniffed the mating bite curiously, and the fact it smelled of the magic of the younger of the ray brothers was enough to prove Lust’s statement. Fresh was proud of Coffee. It is time that the young ray Mer finally came out of his shell.

"But what is it that you discovered that will trigger such a big change?"

"You know, Broskie.", Fresh began and withdrew a little from Lust while he thought of the seductive scent of the kelpie's soul. "I think I'll keep that to myself for a while." And even when Lust urged to find out what sparked Fresh's interest, the parasite in a Selkie's body said nothing.

Kelp was a snack he wanted all to himself.