Chapter 28 (Eric's POV)

I caress her soft skin as she drifts off. I sigh that it's only Tuesday. This week is taking forever. I push her hair out of her face and decide that I need a favor. I take my completed paperwork to Wendy's desk and I see Will sitting down at the desk beside her empty one.
"Will, are you busy?" I ask.
"I just completed some training. I'm waiting for Wendy to return to check it over," he shrugs.
"I need you to run an errand for me," I say.
"Sure," he replies standing up.
I grab my point card out of my pocket. "I want you to go shopping. Buy me a pillow and a throw blanket for my office. Tris just practically collapsed from exhaustion," I tell him placing my card in his hand.
He looks down the hall. "Is she okay?" he asks concerned.
"She should be fine after she rests," I say. "I'm just assuming this is going to be an ordinary occurrence for a while."
"Alright," he nods. "Any preferences?"
"She likes soft things. Anything in black, charcoal grey, purple or bright green," I say. He smiles and nods. "Oh, and leave a note before you go for Wendy, she'll get worried and wonder where you disappeared to."
"Yes, sir," he replies. He immediately turns around and sticks a note on her desk before heading to the elevator.
I walk back down to my office and open the door. I shut it quietly and look at her for a moment.  I grab her stack of completed work before taking a seat at my desk and setting it aside. I pull my next paper in my inbox out and I can't help but glance at her repeatedly as I try to focus on what's in front of me. I approve the form and put it in my going out pile. I grab the next form and open up my computer to see what's going on. I place the surveillance footage in my drive and I watch as someone enters Dauntless. They're dressed like a Dauntless but their clothes are quite tattered. I watch as they dig through our garbage. It's a Factionless who's hungry. I set that aside. I figure I'll ask Tris what she thinks when she wakes up. She has more experience with them.
I sigh and watch her resting for a moment. When she's tired, she's absolutely out. I can't even shake her awake. It's probably best that I let her rest. She probably does the most growing at those times. It's like her body is shutting down and she needs a recharge.
I hear a soft tap on my door and Will enters carrying a large paper bag with handles.
"Thank you," I whisper taking it from his hands. He places my point card in my hand and glances at Tris before he excuses himself.
I pocket my card and open the bag. I see that he bought two pillows—their shade is between mint and kelly green. They almost look like they're covered in faux feathers. It smells like down though so that's definitely what's on the inside. I grab one and pull off the tag, tossing it into my trash before lifting her head gently and placing the pillow beneath. I rest her down on it and she lets out a soft sigh. I grab the other pillow tossing the tag in the bag and setting it on the far end of the sofa out of the way. I look further into the bag and see a charcoal and black throw blanket in there. It's kind of furry with a geometric pattern all over it. I check for tags and find one on a corner. I set the bag down on my desk and spread the blanket out over her. I caress her beautiful face once more before I step away to my desk. I toss the trash in my bin and fold up the bag quietly before I focus my attention on my work.
I spend quite a bit of time going through my stack of forms, problems, and discrepancies. I complete my entire inbox with the exception of the Factionless issue. I move onto my email and respond to those as well. I start on Tris's training, reading her answers.  I realize how well suited she is to this position.  Her brain is really grasping all of the concepts and her ideas she's written are impressive.  I look back over to Tris and realize she's moved positions. I step closer and see that she's stirring.
I crouch down beside her and gently push her hair out of her face again. She leans into my touch and sighs happily. "I was dreaming about the weirdest thing," she says.
"Oh?" I question intrigued.
"I was studying about our faction and the numbers—population counts. I could see Factionless growing out of control and Dauntless decreasing in size. I was overwhelmed from seeing Dauntless overpowered by the mob of Factionless. It didn't matter that we had weapons. They had wave after wave of people to throw at us," she explains.
"That's one messed up dream," I tell her stoking her cheek.
"I know it's odd but could we look at the population counts? I'm just curious about it. I've read stories about dreams coming true. This just seemed too realistic to ignore," she says.
"Sure," I nod.
I pull her up and she stares down at the blanket and pillows. "Were those here before?" she asks.
"No, I had Will run an errand for me," I shrug it off.
She approaches me and it looks like she wants to kiss me. She pauses for a moment and calls me to her level. I bend down and she kisses my cheek like before and hugs me. "Thank you. That was very sweet," she says.
"You're welcome," I respond hugging her back gently. I sigh in contentment at the feeling of embracing her.
I realize that I've only got my office chair on the other side of my desk and it would probably be easier to bring my computer over here. I would most likely just place her on my lap to view everything but decide that I shouldn't do that this week.
"We'll sit over here," I motion to the sofa. I unplug my computer and bring it over to see that she's folded the blanket, set it on the far side of the sofa—the far L shape—and stacked the pillows on top. We sit together on the longer side, our legs touching. I don't move though, the contact is nice with the distance we should keep this week.
I open my files on population counts.  I show her the approximate numbers, but realize this census isn't recent.  It's close to fifty years old.  "That's odd," I say. 
"What?" she inquires. 
"Look at the date of the last census taken," I point out.  
"That's really old," she comments.  "I bet a lot has changed in the last fifty years."
I nod. 
She looks to me and I realize she's biting her cheek.  "Just say it," I insist. 
"Well... I was reading about initiation and rules of conduct.  I also read that initiates should obtain a certain number of points to be able to stay," she says and I nod in agreement. 
"But... I didn't see anything in there about only taking the top ten initiates," she says. 
"That was my rule," I explain.  "Max and I discussed that we only wanted the best to remain here."
"Oh," she says surprised.  "So, it's not really in here, you just updated the law?"
"Yeah, we can change things, try out new techniques to see what works better.  We have the freedom to decide what's best for the faction," I explain. 
"Could we do a census sometime?" she asks. 
"We could," I shrug.  "Our statistics are definitely outdated."
"Can I ask you why you changed the count for acceptance into Dauntless?" she asks gently. 
I suddenly remember Four talking about me to her—how I changed the rules and I'm the new protégé...
"I guess I just figured that I wanted Dauntless to be the best we could be," I try to explain. 
She nods.  "You know... I was talking to Gabe today.  He was kind of jealous that I got so much one on one time with you," she admits. 
I laugh a little flattered.  "Oh yeah?" I grin.  "With me?"
"He couldn't believe how much better I was doing with a few minutes of you assisting me," she says.   "It also sounded like he wanted to spar with you."
I chuckle a little in embarrassment that two of our new members were talking about me and training them personally.  "So what are you getting at?" I ask.  "I mean, I'm enjoying the ego boost but what are you trying to say?"
She turns fully to look me in the eyes.  I give her my undivided attention.  "I think that you are a better trainer than Four was.  I'm thinking that if the initiates had you to work one on one with them—or maybe someone who agrees fully with your techniques—that perhaps every initiate could be our best," she says staring into my eyes.  I realize she's serious. 
"You really think so?" I ask surprised still by her words.
She nods, "I do."
I sigh shakily and look away.  I find this surprising that she thinks so highly of me.  "I guess we could maybe change up initiation next year.  We could mix up the stages—more like my initiation, where the second and third stages blurred with the first.  I could schedule the fights and other training to fit with my availability," I say.  "But on one condition."
"What's that?" she grins. 
"You assist me," I request meeting her eyes. 
"You've got a deal," she tells me reaching out to shake my hand. 
I meet hers and realize this is our first handshake.  I sigh shakily at the connection.  I almost don't want to let go.  My chest aches with a kind of good pain—a longing to draw closer to her.  I see an expression cross her face and I think she's feeling what I am, too.  I push a loose strand of hair out of her face and she closes her eyes at the contact. 
"I've got one more thing on my desk to deal with.  How about you help me with that and I'll take you on a tour around the compound before dinner?" I offer. 
She smiles.  "You've got a date," she says and I grin at her response. 
I grab the paperwork and remember the footage is already in my computer.  She reads the report and I play the recording. 
"So... either an ex-Dauntless or a Factionless dressed up as one of us is so hungry that they're risking breaking in to eat out of our trash cans?" she says frowning. 
"It would appear so," I admit.  "What do you think we should do?"
"Do we have leftovers from the cafeteria?  Or even expired food from the stores they're going to throw out anyway?" she asks. 
"We might," I nod.  "I think we actually just toss the food after each meal in the cafeteria."
"Would it be too much like an Abnegation to give what's leftover away?" she asks hesitantly. 
I open my mouth to respond, then close it abruptly.  "Dauntless usually don't give handouts," I explain. 
"But... if it's just being wasted..." she starts.  "You could leave it in the Abnegation's hands.  They could divvy it out."
I nod thinking that would be more acceptable.  "Perhaps that would be better," I say.  "Why don't we stay until dinner is over just to be sure?"
"Okay," Tris nods.  "I mean, if there's like a plate left, they could set it out... like feeding a stray animal but if there's more, it could mean life or death for someone—a family even."
I can't help but reach out and kiss her forehead.  "You have a good heart," I tell her. 
"And so do you," she says holding my hand.  I smile sadly at her and help her to stand.  "Are you up to walking around the compound?"
"Yeah," she says.  "I actually feel pretty good now."
"Alright.  Let's tour our security in the building," I say.