CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Start from the beginning

Riley looks at her with furrowed eyebrows. "No, they could not. 'Sweet Sixteen', you're sweet." She shakes her head. "'Seventeen', who cares already?"

"Ooh." Maya grinned.

Primrose glances at her with amusement. "What is it, blondie?"

"You got somethin'?" Riley asked Maya with a grin.

"Ooh!" Maya said excitedly.

Primrose nods and chuckles. "Yeah, she got somethin'."

"I predict the next thing you say is gonna be amazing!" Riley smiled at the blonde-haired girl. "See, that right there is the difference between me and you."

"What if we did suh suh suh?" Maya questioned, looking at the two girls beside her with a grin.

Primrose raises her eyebrows, glancing at Riley with amusement upon seeing how shocked she was. Riley gasps. "Impossible! No one's ever done the suh suh suh before." She furrows her eyebrows with confusion. "What is it?"

"'Surprise Sweet Sixteen'." Maya informed her and Primrose.

Riley turns to face the front with an excited look on her face and whispers, "Surprise."

Maya did the same thing which made Primrose chuckle as Maya whispers, "Surprise." 

Riley and Maya look at each other with smiles. "When we talk, magic happens." Riley commented.

Primrose laughs a bit and nods, smiling at the two girls beside her. "Yeah, somethin' happens alright." 

****

"In every life, there are landmarks." Cory explains. "What are the historical markers of our lives? Most important first."

Riley smiles widely. "Sweet Sixteen."

Cory shakes his head. "No."

"Arbor Day!" Maya guessed excitedly. 

Cory looks at her weirdly and shakes his head. "No." He points at the two girls. "Even Sweet Sixteen is more important than Arbor Day."

"Sweet Sixteen." Riley tried again.

Maya cups her mouth and says quietly, "Arbor Day!" 

Primrose couldn't help the giggle that escaped her lips, finding the blonde-haired girl to be amusing at the moment. "No," Cory told the two girls. "Most important first."

"Sweet Sixteen is the doorway to our driver's liscene." Riley explained.

"Arbor Day is the doorway to nobody knows what it is." Maya voiced.

"And college." Riley added.

Maya frowns at her. "You're going without me and Rosie?"

"Oh, no." Riley shakes her head, turning to face Maya with a small smile. "More like Rosie is going without us 'cause she's way smarter than the both of us." Primrose smiles at Riley, thinking she was sweet for saying that. "Don't worry though," Riley continues, pointing at Maya. "You'll be going to the little one next door to the one I go to."

Maya grins excitedly. "Yay!" She points at Primrose and looks at her wiht a smile. "And we can call Rosie everyday to see how she's doing at the smart college she's going to."

Primrose laughs a bit and nods. "You girls can call me whenever."

Riley and Maya smile at her and they both say, "Yay!"

Cory looks at Farkle with a pleading expression. "Farkle?"

"Birth." Farkle answered.

"Okay," Cory nods, pointing at him. "Let's go with that," He points at Riley and Maya. "Because it's not what you said. What's next?"