CHAPTER SIX

"Girl Meets Creativity"

"The dark ages-"

"They're cutting art class and you want to talk about the dark ages?" Maya questioned, obviously upset about this whole thing.

"The dark ages was a time of cultural deterioration." Cory continued.

Maya stares at him. "What does that have to do with me?"

"The dark ages was the decline of the creative spirit of an entire continent." Cory explained.

Maya furrows her eyebrows, her lips forming into a pout. "What about me?"

Cory turns to her. "The dark ages is when they cut art class at this middle school right now. And you, Maya Hart-" He points at Maya who nods. "Yes, you, Maya Hart, the one I'm looking at right now, can't paint anymore."

"You know, a good teacher lets the student get there on their own." Maya said to him.

Riley raises a purple paint coated hand. "Daddy?"

Cory turns to his daughter with an annoyed expression. "Riley, if you put another purple cat on our fridge, I swear, I'm moving to Brooklyn."

Riley gestures to her nose. "Scratch my nose. I won't be dry until math, and Mrs. Kravtiz scratches my nose like she doesn't want to."

"Well, she probably doesn't. Normally people don't want to scratch someone's nose." Primrose mumbled, smiling a bit when she heard Farkle chuckle.

Cory steps over to Riley, scratching her nose. Riley smiles, pointing at him. "That's like a daddy would."

Cory steps back to the front of the class, pointing at Farkle. "So...Why were the dark ages dark, Pippin?"

"People lost interest in art and music because it was taken away from them." Farkle responded.

"Well, I don't want that for Maya." Lucas speaks up. "I want Maya to be happy." Maya looked back at him with a bit of surprise.

Zay points at Lucas with a smirk on his face. "Hey, Maya, it looks like Lucas here is gettin' all fired up on your behalf."

"Thank you, Lucas." A small smile tugs on Maya's lips while she shrugs her shoulders. "But it's just an art class."

"I feel bad." Lucas continues. "They're taking away something you're very good at."

"You've never said that to me before." Maya shook her head.

Lucas nods. "I've said it."

Maya keeps denying that he said that to her before until Lucas interrupts her. "You're a great artist, Maya."

"Well, he's lookin' at you now." Zay quipped.

Primrose leans over, slapping him on the arm. Zay looks at her with raised eyebrows. "What?"