Epilogue: Meet Me Here

Song for the chapter: Autumn Leave by Nat King Cole

☼ ☼ ☼

The falling leaves drift by the window. The autumn leaves of red and gold.

"That will be 5000 won." The old uncle with his tiny golden tooth smiled at the children.

Curled in the corner of the sun-burned park, the man was amongst the few sellers lining the trees with their handmade trinkets and sweets. While largely ignored, the Dalgona candy uncle was particularly popular amongst the children who absolutely adored carving the various shape from the candy.

Ye Jin had stopped walking amongst the falling autumn leaves when a few children had run past her to play their little game, having been reminded of a time when Hyun Bin and her would eagerly line up with the rest of the children in their neighbourhood to play that same game. She had taken a step closer to the Dalgona uncle then, only to notice a wise man who smiled at her.

Curiosity piqued, Ye Jin walked over to the old man's mat to admire the various hand-carved wooden keychains.

"They're beautiful." Ye Jin found herself saying.

"Pick one, young one. Since you're my first customer, I'll give it to you." The old man gestured to his craft.

Ye Jin's eyes widened as she waved her hands instantly, dismissing the offer the old man had given her. "Aniyo, I'll pay. That's too generous of you."

"I insist." The old man peered up at her with his fading eyes, eyes that encapsulated all the kind understanding in the world borne out of age.

Before Ye Jin could protest, the old man had pressed a keychain into her hand, coaxing her to accept his gift. Startled yet touched by his gesture, Ye Jin could only bow and thank him for the present.

"I'll cherish it." Ye Jin promised.

"Smile, young one. A girl like you shouldn't look so forlorn walking around nature. It's the season of change. Embrace it."

Those were the last words the wise man spoke to Ye Jin as she bowed again and continued her journey to their bench. Plugging her earpiece back into her ears, Ye Jin let the gentle classic fill her silent walk amongst the leaves.

I see your lips, the summer kisses. The sun-burned hands I used to hold.

Naturally, Ye Jin felt her body sway to the harmony of music and autumn, coming together to celebrate every amber hue. That day, she was feeling particularly nostalgic as the little autumn leaf hanging from her neck fluttered with the gentle falling breeze, lifting her and keeping her rooted to reality.

Once upon a time, a pair of warm, gentle hands clasped that necklace around her, reminding her of the impermanence of life and the importance of cherishing time.

Now, the necklace reminded her of the very same sentiments although a part of that memory was weighed down by a hope that one day, they would be reunited.

Hope that was dwindling yet unwavering because of the love she had for him.

Perhaps in this lifetime, they weren't meant to be. But in the next one, she could only pray that they would find each other again.

Since you went away, the days grow long. And soon, I'll hear old winter's song.

Beyond everything, Ye Jin loved autumn. How could she not when the colours were bold yet heart-warming, strong yet homely? Even now, when she was wistful over a memory long ago, her eyes soaked in those golden leaves that were etched into those same memories of a boy with his dimpled smiles.