Caught

STEVE'S POV

Nat and I are alone in the tower.
The rest of the team is at the compound that hasn't been finished yet, so they're all excited, but Nat and I know how it's going to be - for good reasons.

Since the party two weeks ago, I've been wanting to tell the team more and more, but Natasha's been reluctant.
She says she just doesn't want it to change the group dynamic.

But I want to marry her. I so desperately want to make sure that she's mine forever.
I'm starting to worry that she's reconsidering marrying me. That would break my heart. I love her.

I'm twirling the ring around in my pocket like every other time when I'm in the same room as Nat.
I should put it in the case, but it calms me down. I need to ask her soon. For real ask her.
One knee and all.

I clear my throat to try and make the nervous lump in my throat go away as I approach Nat with a cup of tea.
"Here you go, My Love" I say, my voice a bit hoarse, but nothing I can't cover up with a cough.
"Thank you" she says, and looks up at me from the stack of papers Nick gave her after 'S.H.I.E.L.D was taken down' which it actually was 10 years ago now.

She's been complaining over these papers, because she's already filled them out once, and frankly they are annoying.
My stack isn't exactly fun either.

"Is something wrong?" She asks, placing a soft hand on my cheek.
I catch myself in my marriage thoughts again, and I shake to get back to reality.
"No, not at all" I smile, kissing the palm of her hand.
"Are you sure? Sit down" she says, gesturing next to her on the couch.

"Are you sure you're okay? You've been acting really weird" she says when I've sat down.
"Erh...I'm...I'm fine..." I nod.
"Yes obviously" she says sarcastically.

———————————————

NATASHA'S POV

Obviously he isn't fine. I'm a shitty girlfriend for not asking him earlier.
I just can't figure out if he's mad about me not really wanting the team to know yet or if it's something else.

I throw my reports on the table and forces his face up from his reports to look at me.
"What is it?" I ask him.
"Nothing"
"Shut up. What is it?" I ask again.
"It's nothing, Love" he sighs.
"Tell me Steven or I swear I'll snap your neck" I groan annoyed.
"It's March. Right?" He asks.
"Yeah?" I'm confused. Is he mad that it's March?

"We've been here since October, and I still haven't married you. I mean...what's that about?" He asks with a serious look on his face.
"Well...I...no I don't know" I reply with a shrug.

I'm not sure about this anymore. I'm probably just going to fuck it up, and then he never wants to see me again. I can't hurt him. I don't want to hurt him, so maybe marrying him isn't a good idea...

"Then why don't we get married? Soon" he smiles, moving from his armchair to the couch I'm in.
He pulls me close to him, guiding me onto his lap.
"Because we have a lot of shit to deal with right now" I say, playing with his hair.
"Love. I'm never too busy to marry you" he says and kisses me.
"Never?" I ask with a smirk and kiss him again.
"Okay maybe right now" he sighs, grabbing onto my lower back and pulling me closer to him.

Our shirts are on the floor or the table, I'm not really sure.
Steve has made his way laying down on the couch, holding on to me on top of him with all his strength.

Tongues swirling in each others mouths, heavy breaths, slight moans, hickeys, love bites and lip bites fill the room.
"I love you" Steve says muffled in my mouth.
"I love you too" I reply, pushing myself closer to him underneath me, earning a low groan from him.
His hands are on my hips, nails digging into my skin, pulling me even closer to him.
I hold onto the blanket on the armrest tightly to keep myself steady.
It's like I need to kiss him like my life depended on it.
Fuck I love him.