Nicknames

Abbreviations used:
Y/n: Your name
A/n: Author's note
Italics: Inner thoughts

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

"The best nicknames are the ones people don't know they have."

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

Y/n's POV

"My my. What's with the tension here?" A familiar voice rang. Xiao instantly stood in between me and Childe and grabbed my left hand with his right placing it behind him out of Childe's sight.

"None of your business Fatui." Xiao practically spits at the last word.

"It's Tartaglia, Conqueror of Demon. I was merely passing by and I overheard you two arguing."

"I don't care what your name is. But one more move against Liyue and you're dead."

"Woah! Let's not get so aggressive shall we? We are in the middle of the streets and others are passing by here too." The people who heard Xiao's threat fled quickly, Xiao's grip tightened ever so slightly. He won't admit it, but people fleeing from him does affect him.

"What are you doing here anyway?" I asked Childe, changing the topic.

"Ah, I am just visiting a friend here. He is a comrade of mine, I'm sure you've met him before. He went to Mondstadt earlier today due to an emergency and would presumably be back by sunset."

"Oh, you mean Aether?" Xiao glared at me but I brushed it aside.

"That is him."

"I'm not sure he'll be back so soon though. He stopped to talk to a friend of his."

"Ah, I see. Y/n, could I borrow you for a second?"

"Su-"

"No. Us Adepti have duties and responsibilities to attend to, as I'm sure you do too, Fatui." Xiao interrupted.

"Ah very well then. I suppose this is farewell for now."

"Hmph."

"Bye!" I managed to say before Xiao swooped me away from Wangshu Inn. He ran faster than usual, and we ended up at the Dragon Queller tree in 10 seconds flat. He stopped at the tree and put me down against the tree, leaning over to me with his head on my shoulders.

"Xiao?" He must be trying to hide a wave of emotions since he didn't respond.

"..Don't talk to him like that ever again. He's a Fatui. He's going to cause us more trouble." Xiao breathed out.

"Be honest with me, that's not what's bothering you."

"... Don't ever call me pretty again. I'm nothing but a monster.." I brought my hand to his head and soothed him.

"You are far from a monster."

"Tch.. Maybe to you.." He sorta did not deny it, that's surprising.

"Qualities of a monster. They are ugly, they are evil, they are bullies. Qualities of Xiao. You're pretty, you fight against evil, you look out for the well-being of others. I don't see any monstrous qualities of Xiao." I started listing.

"You skipped all my sins." Xiao lifted his head. "I killed innocent people, I ate their dreams. I let them suffer."

"True.."

"..." Xiao's eyes widened and he looked away, he wasn't expecting me to agree.

"But that was the years ago. You've changed. Maybe you weren't perfect then, and you're still not perfect now. But perfection doesn't exist when it comes to living beings."

"... Y/n.. there's no point in trying.."

"They'll forget about the past. It's just a matter of time."

"..." Xiao suddenly embraced me. "Thank you, Y/n.. for everything. I.." Xiao stopped midway through his sentence.

Xiao's POV

"Thank you, Y/n.. for everything. I.." ..love you.. You don't know how much you mean to me.. I don't ever want to see you go..

"Heh. Anything for you, kitty." Y/n gave me a nickname as they grinned with delight.

"You're gonna call me that now?"

"Why not! You're like a cat!" Ridiculous. I released Y/n to face them.

"Your head's in the cloud, I look nothing like one," I argued.

"I never said you looked like one! But you do act like one from time to time."

"How could you compare me with a cat?" Those creatures are furry which feels disgusting. It's too soft, too furry. Just thinking about it makes my hair stand on its ends.

"Cats got claws. Just like you do."

"I don't have claws." What's Y/n trying to do? What's with this nickname?

"... Just take the nickname and stop stating facts or asking questions. It's not literal."

"Tch.." I've got one for you, little bird. A memory flashed across my mind.

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

"This little bird never fell asleep my dear friend~" A voice boomed from nowhere. I scanned my surroundings in search of them.

"Show yourself!" I summoned my spear, ready to defend myself.

"But I'm right here Alatus~ Look down!" The voice of Y/n taunts me. I looked, and I saw a bird. A dead bird. Suddenly, I'm knocked over and fell to the ground butt first.

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

"Xiao?" Y/n waved a hand in front of me. ...It won't happen.. it's just my imagination.. ...

"... We have our duties to attend to." I changed the subject.

"So.. I can take part?" I nodded in response.

"If you don't that Fatui Harbinger will be suspicious of us. I do not wish to draw more attention to us." I stated as a matter of factly.

"Hehe! Alrighty then! I'm off to obliterate camps!"

"You're not going anywhere without me." I must make sure you don't collapse..

"That's fine with me. We don't get to battle together often."

"Tch. Where to first?"

"Hmm.. How about near Lingju Pass? I heard that the number of Ruin Guards has increased significantly."

"... We just fought 4 of those at Guyun Stone Forest. Do I have to remind you who almost got stomped on?"

"Haha. Very funny." Though there was no humour in Y/n's tone. "It doesn't change the fact that they are a danger to people."

"Fine."

~᯽❥᪥ᴥ᪥❥᯽~

A/n:
Hope you enjoyed this part! Come visit Xiao in an alternate universe in Christmas Specials! Kazuha Christmas Story coming soon! And feel free to request!