chapter twenty three | love

ANDREW DAVIS

After a long morning of waiting for Alexis to wake up so that I could check on her, I decided that I would start planning today, which is the day that I am going to tell her that I love her.

I don't think I can wait and it feels like a secret. A good secret, but still a secret.

I decided that since it's a warm day to head up to the waterfall and hang out up there and I'll tell her. At some point. Maybe.

Alexis comes out of the bathroom in leggings with Nike socks folded over and a pair of sneakers. She is wearing an Adidas hoodie and holding a small purse wallet thing.

"Hey, it's pretty warm today for some reason, you might want to put on something lighter," I tell her, opening my deck door so that she can feel the warm air on her.

"Jesus. How does it go from negative twenty-five degrees to seventy in one day?" She asks, rhetorically.

"I wish I could tell you the answer to that. You are from New York though. I thought that it was worse there than here." I say, knowing that I have known a few people from New York and New Jersey who say the weather is extremely crazy there.

"True. But I live here now. I'm summer I'm New York it's just hot for the whole thing and that is the only time that I have been there for the past few years. Anyways now I have gotten used to the regular weather of California." Alexis explains to me, making me nod. New York and California are literally on opposite sides of the country so it's not like the difference in weather is unexplained.

"What are we doing today anyway?" Alexis asks me as she puts earrings in her ears.

"It's a surprise. Since you have been taking me out all the time, even though I am the one who grew up here, I am taking you somewhere today." I tell her and she nods.

"Ok, that works." She says with a shrug. "It is so weird to think about how we have already been here for two weeks and are leaving tomorrow," Alexis says, actually looking kind of sad.

"You know that they are going to want you to visit anyway, and I'll also want to bring you back here," I tell her, knowing how much she loves my family.

She walks back into the bathroom with some clothes that I can't tell what are in her hands. About two or three minutes later she comes walking out of the bathroom in a pair of very light blue Jean shorts and a black crop top.

"I'm ready whenever you are." She tells me as she picks up her phone and wallet. "You aren't going to need your wallet for where we are going. You can bring it if you want to but it would be kind of pointless." I mention it to her and she puts it down on my dresser.

I grab her hand as we step out of my childhood bedroom. We walk down the stairs and see my grandma standing by the bottom, talking to my mom.

"Hey, kids. Have fun, well not too much fun. Anyways, love you both so goodbye kiddos." My mom says and I internally roll my eyes at her. Both my mom and my grandma know what I am doing today, and that I plan to confess that I love her.

"Bye, Skylar I'll see both of you later," Alexis says to my mom and grandma. "Bye sweetheart." My mom says as she and my grandma walk into the living room, giggling like schoolgirls.

"You have a very odd family," Alexis tells me making me raise an eyebrow. "Why is that?" I ask her, she had a teasing tone in her voice telling me that she wasn't being serious but I still don't know what she could be talking about.

"Skylar and your grandma were just giggling for literally no reason and that comment that you're mom made was kind of odd." She said, looking to be deep in thought.