Chapter 21

Grace felt comfortable as if her whole body was submerged in warm water. No, it felt like she was covered in a thin blanket by a sunny window. Grace, who was asleep enjoying the comfortable and warm feeling, slowly opened her eyes to the touch of someone stroking her cheek.

Arthur, whose face was covered with a black mask except by her mouth just in front of her, was looking down anxiously.

'Oh my God!'

At that moment, Grace screamed inside and opened her eyes wide. Then, she made eye contact with Arthur, who had his eyes on her. His eyes grew wide, surprised at her movement, and soon spoke to her with a look of unbelief, "You're awake?"

"...oh, yes, but where are... "

"In the carriage. You suddenly collapsed, so I brought you here."

"But, what happened...." Grace groaned, pressing her throbbing head with her palm. She had heard the strange voice again inside the party, and was knocked out by the terrible pain and fear. Grace wrapped her arms around her body, getting goosebumps again when she recalled the moment.

'...that voice. Is it the 'curse' that makes me hear that terrible voice? Then, will I really die or go crazy in a year like the previous ones?'

When she thought so, the fear that she had forgotten for a while came upon her again. If she had known this would happen, she would have just pretended to be crazy and looked for her own way of living in the mansion.

While Grace was groaning with regret-

"Now that you're awake, I'll leave you alone." Arthur, who gazed at Grace trembling all over with a face full of fear, gently raised himself and opened the carriage door.

'I'm scared to death right now, where are you going, leaving me alone?'

Grace hurriedly grabbed Arthur's shirt and said to him who looked like he was about to leave her alone right away, "W-Where are you going?"

"I'm going out."

"Where? Why? I-Isn't the party over?" Grace clung to him with a desperate look. Arthur sighed briefly at the sight and answered her in a low voice, "As my Lady said, the party is over. Now I'm going back to my mansion."

"But why are you leaving? L-Let's take this carriage together."

"I'm going to get off and ride a horse."

"......why, why?"

"...My Lady."

"Can't we just ride the carriage together? I'm scared to be alone right now."

Arthur, who seemingly wanted to leave her behind, held Grace hesitatingly. Unlike her voice, which was filled with fear, Arthur bit his lower lip at Grace's strong grip on the hem of his shirt. It felt like she would never let go.

He carefully took her hand off him, turned his head coldly and said, "I can't do that."

"...what? Why?"

"And from now on, I will never be alone with you again...as for talking face to face with you, today will be the last time."

"......what?"

Grace stared at Arthur with a blank face at his unkind words. Did he really mean it? Grace grabbed his shirt again, but Arthur shrugged off the hand that held him, avoiding her gaze.

Grace was both bewildered and angry at the sight. She felt anxious that if she let him go like this, she would never see him again. She hurriedly held his hand tightly and shouted, "Why? For what?"