Chapter 26: Let the Games Begin

Start from the beginning

"Please, Adrik, don't do this," I began to cry. I had never begged Adrik for a damn thing. I've asked for absolutely nothing. He's told me my life has been in his hands. I've never allowed myself to believe that, but as he began to yank me towards the basin and I struggled to get out, I realized he had been right all along.

I screamed as loud as my lungs would allow me, using the burning of my throat to fuel my protests. I clawed at his arms and used whatever strength I had left to try and break free, but it wasn't working. I kicked and kicked as he pulled me up and dropped me in the tub. 

My head sunk below the water and I immediately pushed my way up. I gasped for air as I broke the surface. I coughed to get the water out of my lungs and did my best to brush my matted hair away from my face.

Adrik's shadow cast over me in the water that was now stained red from my blood. I looked up at him and gripped the sides of the basin tightly with my hands. 

"What's it going to be, Kitten? Is it finally time to tell the truth?"

I couldn't speak as I broke into a coughing fit. My lungs were set ablaze with every breath I tried to take. 

I wanted to live. I wanted to see the light of day again and watch the clouds move across the sky and feel the wind in my hair as I drove down some country road. I wanted to feel the warmth of the sun on my face as I lay outside in the green, green grass. I needed to tell him what was going on, but I couldn't.

He took my struggle as defiance. I didn't recognize what was happening till he was leaning over me with his hands pressing at my neck. My head swirled beneath the water as I thrashed around. I tried gripping the sides of the tub to pull me back up, but my strength was nowhere to be found. 

I managed to get my head above water again when the pressure lessened. I shot up and grabbed onto his white button-down shirt, grasping onto whatever I could.

"Please, I'll tell you. Just please, don't kill me. I don't want to die, Adrik, please," I begged and screamed. I took in all of his features and the way they flowed together. From the sharp angle of his jaw to his dark, chestnut eyes. I took in the way his normally perfect hair was splayed in every direction, and I took in the way one of his hands pushed at my chest while the other was knotted in my hair.

I could learn to love him again, I thought to myself. We could move past this. All he had to do was let me live and I'd love him. Just let me live.

Just let me live.

His eyes stared back at me in contemplation, questioning me as to if I was actually telling the truth or not. I conveyed all the sincerity I had in me into my face, silently pleading him to believe me.

I watched as his chest rose and fell a final time before his grip in my hair tightened. I knew it was over. 

"You lie."

I screamed and thrashed but it was to no avail. I was submerged in the water yet again, and this time, there was no getting out. I fought it, I did my best, but as air ran out and my body began to tire, I knew it was over. 

I told myself if I somehow came out of this alive, that I promised to live. I promised to get out of here, no matter what it takes, and be better and do better for myself. Just so I could live again.

So as time stopped and my vision began to darken, I held onto that promise and took it with me to my grave. 

***

"Keeley!"

A terrified wail broke through my lips as I shot up. Sweat flowed down into my eyes and my body trembled with fear. I registered Luca reaching towards me and I flinched away from him. I could tell it bothered him, but he stayed calm and didn't move closer.