We're dead! We're dead, we're dead, we're dead!

Start from the beginning

Janis took Cady by the hand and stormed out of the door, up onto the ships deck.

Chaos.

They were pushing through the panicking crew on their way to the console.

„Evasive action, Mr. Samuels!"

A faint ‚aye-aye, Captain' was heard from the direction of the ship's wheel above her. The roaring flames were drowning out almost every sound even less than two metres away from her.

Janis mind was racing, going through the protocol step by step trying to calm herself. After 17 years she never crossed paths with a supernova.

Step 1. Lifelines

„All hands, fasten your lifelines!"

There was shouting in different languages as the crew crowded around the middle mast tying lifelines around themselves. Well at least they're trying to. Janis cursed Damian for hiring this ludicrous parcel of driveling galoots. A few ripped the lines, trying to tie the two ends together again while the others were fighting over the remaining ones. They didn't have time for this.

Step 2. Secure all sails

She scanned the ship again for someone she could trust. Cady was typing away at the console, trying to calculate... something... very desperately. But according to the look on her face she was failing.

Damian.

„Mr. Hubbard! Secure those sails!"

Damian nodded turning back to the outraged crew again who seemed to forgot about the giant, dying star right beside their ship.

„SECURE THOSE SAILS!" Damian shouted louder than Janis had ever heard him before. Even over the sounds of the raging explosion his voice was loud and clear. „REEF THEM DOWN, MEN!"

At an instant all sixteen men ran to their posts tugging on ropes, tying them down, securing the very sensitive solar sails. What ever it was in Damians order, it scared them. Maybe even more than the current situation itself.

Except for one guy. He had too much fun blasting away the asteroids flying towards them. Fucking hell...

Step 3 -

„Captain! The star!"

Fuck.

Cady came up behind her, instinctively reaching for her hand, while clinging onto Janis' left biceps. This was bad. There was one very last explosion turning the flames into a range of pink, violet, red and blue colours just to eventually form a black spot getting bigger and bigger with every shock wave coming from it.

Cady's grip around her tightened as the realization really hit them. The one thing they all desperately tried to avoid, the one thing they hoped miraculously wouldn't happen just appeared right in front of them.

"A black hole." Cady whispered, her focus steady on the debacle in front of them. Janis couldn't make out if it was Horror or fascination which made her eyes still shine brightly in the light of the flames... But she also didn't want to find out.

As if on cue a groaning came from the ship's wheel. Janis ran up to see what's happening and saw three men trying to keep the ship from flying into it's direction without success.

"We're- being- pulled in!"

"No we're not!"

The men fell back as the gravity force just got stronger and stronger with every millimeter they came closer which made Janis desperately holding onto the wheel, not ready to give up hope yet.