Chapter 5 - Everton

Start from the beginning

As the game progressed, so did we. We scored twice more - once from Fran and the other from Pernille. Pernille got her debut goal for Chelsea, and we were all stoked for her. She deserved it. She is a great player, with such experience and expertise.

At one point, Everton had a break. Hayley was coming down on the wing, and I had to backtrack on her. She tried to nutmeg me, but it didn't work, and instead the ball went straight into my feet, and I kicked it up to Ji in the midfield. I gave Hayley a quick pat on the back, and went back to my spot. I touched her. I smiled at her. More interaction in one hour than we had had in years.

The game finished 3-0 to us, and Everton had lost their first game of the season. Afterwards, I went up to Hayley.

"Hey," I said to her, smiling.

"Ett!" She said, grabbing me and pulling me in for an embrace. Her soft voice brought back so many memories.

"How have you been?" I asked her, smiling. We sat together, on the side of the field, undoing our shoes and warming down.

"Yeah, I've been okay. Moving over here was just a crazy experience."

"Yeah, I can imagine. But, you're settling in alright?" I asked her.

"No, yeah, for sure." I smiled at this, happy that she is settling. "So you met Sam?" She said, laughing. Sam is obviously her team mate and captain for the Matildas, so they know each other quite well.

"Well, we met officially."

"She's quite the charmer," Hayley said. As we joked together, I remembered why we got together in the first place. She has a heart of gold, and a brilliant mind. But, I also remembered why we broke up to begin with. Everything changed so quickly. I also, deep down, knew she wasn't the person. Knew she wasn't my forever.

Sam then came over, and embraced Hayley in a hug.

"Rassler!" She said, sitting down beside her, "how have you been?" As Sam started to talk, I got up, and went over to Millie and Erin.

"Was it okay?" Millie asked me.

"Absolutely fine."

I did an interview after the match, as it was my debut game.

"So, Juliette, how did it feel to get out on the pitch for your debut game for Chelsea?"

"Yeah, it was incredible. I loved being out there with that team, and I cherished every second of it."

"So, we all know you have played with your sister, Keira, for the past 19 years together, how did it feel not being out there with her?"

"Uh, it was definitely weird, but it was also really interesting to be out there with a different group of people, and to be faced with new challenges."

"So, you have recently made the change from full back to center back, how did that come about?"

"Yeah, so, Emma really wanted to try me out at center back at training, and she, I guess, liked it, so she wanted to see how it turned out in the game. And even though I guess traditionally I play full back, I loved the opportunity to grow and try something new."

"And you played amazingly. Thank you Juliette."

"Thank you."

After the game, I saw a post from Keira on her instagram story of her watching the game.

Keirawalsh: proud of you @ettiewalsh7

I replied to the story.

Ettie: I love you. I'll call you tonight.

Keira: you better!

I also checked my phone to see a couple messages from Leah.

Leah: So proud of you. Also, I have a favour.

Ettie: yeah of course, what do you need?

Leah: Can I stay at yours tonight?

Ettie: yeah of course. Are you okay?

Leah: yeah, I'll tell you later

I was worried for Leah. I'm always worried, to be honest. But, this felt different. She felt nervous and anxious, but I wasn't sure. I'm never sure with her.

Later, when I checked instagram, I saw a fan account post some photos taken of me and Hayley during the game. The first few were after the game, when we were sitting on the side undoing our shoes and talking and the last was a video of when she tried to nutmeg me and I patted her on the back.

wosoworld_: remember when @hayleyraso and @ettiewalsh7 dated! Well, they probably just saw each other for the first time in years, as Everton (Hayley's new club) and Chelsea (Ettie's new club) versed each other in the opening round of the WSL! We got some cute photos too! Not sure anything of it, but they are definitely not on bad terms!!

Jindixpreath: this was such a wholesome couple! I miss them

Soccerlover11: they were the cutest. #miss

uswnt.matildas.33: i did love them

As I got into my car, to head home, I realised that Leah would probably be there. Something probably happened. I was worried for her, and that was a priority over everything else. Making sure she was okay was the first job.