Chapter 40 - Witnessed The Unexpected

Arien's POV

"I confessed to her,"he continued,"but she straightly rejected me."he said and looked down at the kitchen counter.

And I was just there, sipping my noodle soup. I'm a listener only, not a comforter. I don't usually give out advices because I'm not an experienced human being. I tend to be sure with my decisions and with the words that gets out of my mouth. That's why if I'm not sure with one thing, I won't say it. I need more clarifications and etcetera, etcetera.

He chuckled a bit and his face went serious again. "When she rejected me, she told me she liked someone else."

"I've always seen her look at my brother Ethan differently. Her eyes turns much softer and she's more clingy to him. She talk more with him than she talk with us. I thought, maybe it was just her, being much comfortable with Ethan. But no. She do things to him like what a girlfriend do to her boyfriend. Cooks for him, play with him and even go out with him, with only the two of them."

I looked at him, I could see sadness and longing in his eyes.

"And then I asked her if she liked Ethan. Ha!"he laughed sarcastically, and his face went back to serious like he's in a mood swing.

"She didn't even deny it. She nodded and said sorry. Sorry for not reciprocating what I felt for her. Sorry for not loving me. And sorry, for loving my brother."

Oh gawd. Good thing he didn't cry. I might panic if he does. If that case happens, I won't know what to do!

He turned to me, I was almost startled.

"Are you two friends?"he asked.

"W-Who? Eria? Y-Yeah. We're friends."I answered him. He nodded continuously as he looked away but his sight immediately went back to me.

"Are you going to tell her about what I told you?"he asked, again. I immediately shook my head.

"No way! Why should I? I don't want to interfer with your business. And plus, that thing was suppose to be a secret. Would you like to tell other people about a secret? Of course you wouldn't want that."I answered.

I looked at my unfinished bowl of noodles.

"Oh man! My noodles are soggy! I hate soggy noodles. But I'm still going to eat it since its delicious."and I took a forkful of noodles after my rant and chewed them inside my mouth.

"You sound like a kid."Jay commented, smiling. I stopped slurping the noodles.

"Yeah. That's why most people think I'm weird. Sometimes I'm serious, sometimes I'm a joker, sometimes I'm emotional, and rarely a kid. But don't worry. I'm not the kind who you should bring in a mental hospital. I'm totally fine."

I finished slurping my noodles. "Yum!"

He chuckled loudly this time.

"You're so adorable!"he said and pinched my left cheek.

I froze.

Uhhh...what?

I mean, the pinch doesn't hurt. But the spark does.

Oh sh*t. What spark?

He immediately retreated his hand and his fingers on my cheek. He then scratched the back of his head and let out a nervous laugh.

"Uhm..you done? I'm doing the dishes."he asked.

"I-uh..."I looked at my bowl which has a few soup left and so I sipped it to finish. "Yeah. I'm done. And uh...I should go to bed now. Its like, past one or two in the morning. And I still have classes tomorrow. Hehe.."