Chapter 28: A Game

I was hoping I'd find some semblance of self-control before spending the day with Kane and the boys. The fact that I couldn't decide what to wear in the morning told me I had not found that self-control because I was vastly overthinking a stupid outfit. I decided wearing something not as flattering would probably be wise so I stuck to an oversized t-shirt and just grabbed leggings.

By the time I came down the stairs, the Blood Moon boys were seated at the island counter with Addie and Cassie, already eating. I stepped in the room and Kane's head lifted, his eyes finding mine, making my heart race.

"Morning," I greeted, walking around the island and grabbing a plate.

Mom left bacon and eggs this morning so I put that on plate and sat next to Addie, putting space between me and Kane before I would be with him all day. The dreams I had about him last night had been intense and my body was already in hyperdrive.

"You're slow this morning," Addie commented, sipping on tea. "They were here early. Going somewhere?"

"It's a secret," I said, bringing a finger to my lips.

"Not to me," Addie giggled. "I know where you're taking them."

"Fair," I agreed, digging into my food.

It was still awkward but nothing near what it was like before since Xander wasn't there. I was kind of glad he wasn't, as sad as that made me. I ate quickly to avoid any encounters and we got out of there before Xander got back from running with the pack.

"Are we shifting?" Connor asked as we got past the tree-line.

"Nope. We'll just walk. It's nice out," I said, leading them through the territory.

That and I can't handle stripping in front of Kane right now.

We walked North through the forest, ascending up along the river. The river gradually grew wider and wider until we reached where it was more like a pool of water with a waterfall dropping down into it. It was my favorite place in the territory. It seemed even more green there and the water rushing down into the pool was so clear, you could almost see to the bottom.

We sat on the edge of the pool and put our feet in. The boys told me about their favorite places back home and it didn't escape my attention that they very much missed being home. That hung over my shoulders but I tried to stay enthusiastic as they spoke. They couldn't stay here forever. Any attempt to ask how the pack was didn't get very far because Kane was Kane. Silent as fuck.

The boys started exploring around the area and I followed Kane around and under the waterfall. He looked around and said something but the waterfall was so loud I couldn't hear him, even with my heightened hearing. I pointed to my ears and he walked over, setting his hands on my hips and leaning down, his lips brushing against my ear. "I see why it's your favorite spot."

My heart and body turned into a mess at our contact, his hot breath fanning out over my neck. His hands tightened on my hips and I took a deep breath, reminding myself we weren't in a place to just start hooking up. Being under the waterfall was practically a trap, ensuring we'd have to be close if we wanted to talk. I decided it was best to get out of there so I stepped away from him and walked out onto the other side of the waterfall, not seeing the boys anymore.

"Where'd they go?" I asked, looking around.

"Who knows?" Kane shrugged, stopping very close next to me.