Chapter Twenty-Three

"Excuse me, did you just say you got married?" Rose asked. There was no way her level-headed friend got married to a man she just met.

"Yes, Rose, Edward and I got married," Bella answered.

"This is crazy, Bella," Rose snapped. "You are here for my wedding, not yours."

"Rose, watch your tone," Edward said, his temper flaring. "I will not have you speaking like that to my wife."

Bella placed her hand on Edward's arm. When he looked down at her, she gave him a smile. "Let me handle this."

He didn't like it, but he would do anything to make Bella happy. "Okay," he whispered, placing a kiss on her forehead. "Though if she gets out of hand I will handle it."

"Thank you and I love you," she said, then turned towards Rose. "I see we upset you, but Rose, I am happy. I love Edward and he loves me. No, we are not interfering with any of your plans for your wedding. Neither of us wanted a big wedding, so we decided just to have a small ceremony in front of a judge."

Esme couldn't hold it in any longer. With tears in her eyes, she rushed over, wrapping her arms around both of them. "Well, I will admit that I am a little upset that I didn't get to plan a wedding. However, I am thrilled over the fact you two are married. Sometime after Rose and Emmett's wedding, we will set down and plan a large reception. Do I make myself clear?" she stated, with no room for argument.

"Yes, mom," Edward answered.

"Bella?" Esme asked, her one eyebrow raised. "Remember, my speech from earlier today."

Thinking for a moment about the speech, she suddenly remembered what Esme had said. Tears formed and ran down her face. "Yes, mom."

Esme reached out and pulled Bella into a tight hug and whispered into her ear. "I am so happy to hear you call me that."

Edward didn't think he could have been happier, but seeing the two women he loved hugging each other sent him to a different plane of happiness. When they broke apart, he watched as they wiped their tears off each other. He turned towards Maggie and Richard, to see they too looked as if they had been crying as well.

Carlisle cleared his throat as he fought back his own emotions. "I think we need champagne to toast Edward and Bella's nuptials."

"Dad, I have placed a bottle of 1959 Don Perignon in the wine cooler," Edward instructed. He had slipped it in early this morning before the party and hoped Maggie wouldn't find it.

"Perfect choice," Carlisle said as he walked towards the kitchen, with Richard following. A few minutes later, the pop of the cork sounded and moments later Carlisle and Richard carried trays with champagne flutes filled with bubbly goodness. Once everyone had a glass in their hands, Carlisle walked over to stand beside Esme.

"Edward and Bella, as parents, we always hope and pray that our children find love. It is very clear to all those who look at the two of you together that you are the real deal. May your love and happiness continue to grow. Raise your glasses, to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Cullen," Carlisle said.

"Edward and Bella," everyone said, even Rose.

Once everyone had taken a drink, Carlisle cleared his throat once again. "Oh, and just to let you know, my 'grandfather clock' is ticking, so get busy making us some grandbabies."

Edward and Bella broke out in laughter.

"I just wish we could have been there," Esme said.

"Oh, we have a video and pictures. Sam and Felix documented the wedding," Edward said.