Chapter 31: Teeth and Blood

Start from the beginning

Athemar turns his head towards her. "No," he says. "You may have completed your mission and I am thankful for that. But all that matters now is that the rift is active and secure. Once we can be certain that it is, then we can spare a ship. But right now, we need every resource we have available ready to be used towards keeping the rift safe," he states. The tone of his voice makes it sound almost like the thought of going to Narvadin never even crossed his mind.

"Really, Athemar?" Malachi slowly stands up. "He's just a kid, and you're more focused on the rift and not the danger he's in? Who knows why the spies took him. He could be getting tortured right now for all we know, but you just don't care," he burns a glare on the Grand Master.

Athemar sighs and his eyes slightly narrow. "What is one life in comparison to the salvation of the continent? I said that after we know the rift is safe and active, we can afford to send troops to rescue your friend. But right now, we are to wait," he states.

Malachi rolls his eyes. "Seems you still value life as little as you did back with Eelry," he snaps.

"It was a freak accident, Malachi," Athemar counters. "There was no way of knowing the Drynthar would attack Eelry just as Sir Lee arrived. If you truly think the Dev'al Ordon has that beast at our disposal, then you really have lost your mind. If we had that beast under our control, don't you think we would have used it to stop the war over in Narvadin by now?" he stands up as well and steps away from the table with his head low.

He glances back at the map and stares at Whiteridge wistfully. "...If we had any form of control over the Drynthar, then maybe Arrick would still be..." he closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. His hands slightly shake.

No one says anything, when Sara returns without the fragments. She watches whatever is going on with a curious gaze. "Grand Master. Magister Holloway was not in the Inquiry Hall, but I made sure to pass off the fragments to Magister Yearyn in his stead until he returns," she explains and walks further into the room, approaching Athemar and Naomi by the map.

Nisha eyes her curiously. "Where's Holloway?" she asks. Naomi had almost forgotten that Magister Holloway is in some way her foster father.

Sara shrugs and glances back at her. "Not sure. Something must've required his immediate attention. Which is something I'm sure all Life Mars are familiar with, am I correct?" she says but turns her gaze back to Athemar before Nisha can say anything more.

Naomi stares at the Grand Master pleadingly. "Please, Athemar. Just one ship. We'll make it quick; I promise. We just need to get him to safety," she begs.

Athemar shakes his head again. "I already said we cannot afford to risk losing any resources. And remember that we have still had no luck in finding out who and where this mystery man is, and if there is any time he will choose to act, it will be as we are working on opening the rift. I have been friendly thus far, but make no mistake that I am not still the Grand Master of the Dev'al Ordon," he states and looks away from her to stare at the map once again.

Naomi growls. "But we can't just—"

"I believe the Grand Master has made his decision clear," Sara cuts her off. "You all are to remain here until after the rift is opened. Is that clear?" she speaks sharply, her eyes narrow at Naomi in warning.

She growls. "You can't order me around," Naomi says and clenches her fists.

"But I can," Athemar says without looking back at her. "My decision is final. You will remain in Ecrin until further notice or until this man is found."

Naomi's fists tighten, digging her nails into her palms. She opens her mouth to protest further, but all of their attention is grabbed as the door to the Boardroom flies open.