Chapter 5: Emissaries

Amazing cover image made by Shreya_VA <3

__________________________________________________

Ecrin. The capital of Aramora. The light grey stone walls tower high in the air, topped by towers bearing red flags, waving in the soft breeze. The city rests on a steep hill centering the island, with layers of streams and waterfalls flowing between the houses and streets. Docks and ports line the shores on each side of the long bridge that leads into the city.

Naomi has no time to stand around and stare in wonder as Nisha hurries them all along, heading up towards the Divine Temple. Resting atop the massive hill, the pearly white stone temple is adorned by golden accents lining the gates and walls. Tall pillars pierce the sky with pointed blue roofs.

Outside the polished wooden gates is a guard with dark auburn hair wearing shining silver armor with a silver greatsword on her back. She stands with her arms crossed and her face stern.

Nisha grins and waves everyone on to follow as she approaches the gate. The guard holds up her hand and steps in her way.

"Om'ralan, and hold it. The Divine Temple is no place for the common folk of Aramora. State your name and intentions, as well as for your... comrades," she orders.

Nisha rolls her eyes and groans. "Oh come on, Miria. Are you seriously gonna question me every time I come through here?"

Miria shrugs. "Sorry, ma'am. I was ordered by the Grand Master to check all who want entry. Now, your name?" she deadpans. Nisha sighs.

"Hu'Nisha Moraan. The mercenary hired by Magister Holloway over two years ago. Ring any bells?" She frowns and crosses her arms.

Miria nods slowly and tries to stifle her look of disdain. "Oh right. The mercenary... how could I forget..." she sighs and looks to the others behind Nisha. "And they are?"

Nisha smiles and motions to them. "These are the Emissaries requested by the Grand Master himself. I'm here to bring them to him. You don't want to come between Athemar and his mission, do you?" She winks at Miria.

The guard grumbles and nods slowly. "Fine, you may enter." She shakes her head and turns towards the gate. "Sometimes I wonder if Holloway's got a screw loose..." she mumbles as she unlocks the gate and turns back to Nisha.

The Tus'Felnis smiles and nods. "Why thank you. It's been fun doing this for the hundredth time," she chuckles and waves the others on to follow as she pushes the gate open and slips through, holding it for everyone else.

Lavern and Nesosa enter first while Malachi glances around, but his expression never stops being gruff.

Naomi looks him over. "Something bothering you?" she asks.

He shakes his head. "No. No everything's fine. Just keep on your guard. I don't trust Athemar or any of his 'magisters', and you shouldn't either." He brushes past her and enters with the others. Naomi shrugs and joins them.

Right from the temple entrance is a large garden courtyard with masterfully tended bushes, flowers, and grass. There are steady streams flowing along the white stone pathways that connect each building. In the center of the courtyard is the Pinnacle Tower, standing higher than all the others and decorated with more gold trimming around the entrance.

Naomi stares at the Pinnacle in awe, at the beauty of the white stones shining in the bright sky and the golden accents gleaming in the light.

Malachi stares up at it as well. "Really something, huh?" he grumbles. She nods.