Chapter 18: Small Piece of a Big Game

Beautiful artwork made by Randompeephere <3

__________________________________________________

As night falls over Arkala, the lights of the upper district keep the city illuminated while the lower district is left in the shadows. Naomi hadn't realized how fancy this whole 'dinner party' thing was going to be until a white and gold-lined carriage showed up to escort them to wherever it is they're going.

The carriage pulls to a slow stop and the door to their coach is pulled open by what appears to be a servant of the estate.

As soon as Naomi steps out, her eyes trail up to land on the white palace she has been ogling since they arrived in Arkala. She can hardly believe she's standing right in front of it. Now she definitely has to take a picture to show Kitty.

So, Naomi ignores all else and makes it her first priority to pull out her phone and grab Nisha, pulling her closer and wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

Nisha eyes her suspiciously. "What are you doing?" she asks, and her eyes lock onto Naomi's phone as she raises it to view.

"I have a friend back home who would kill me if I showed her where I am right now," Naomi says giddily. "Smile!" She and Nisha smile at the phone's camera, even if the Tus'Felnis has no idea why, and Naomi takes a picture of them standing in front of the massive estate.

"Damn, and I thought friendships here were intense. Remind me never to go to your continent," Nisha snickers.

Naomi chuckles and turns around as Malachi gets out after them, also looking over the palace. This must be a first-time viewing for him too, judging by the look on his face.

The second and third carriages pull up and stop along the road in front of the structure, and they watch Lavern and Nesosa climb out of one. Lavern's eyes hold resentment as he stares at the palace.

That's when it clicks for Naomi that this must be his house, and her jaw goes slack as she stares at him. She can't imagine Lavern living here no matter how hard she tries, but she guesses that makes sense as to why he left. It just wasn't where he belonged.

Nesosa is just eyeing the palace as if it's a large stack of numis that she, unfortunately, can't steal.

The door to the third carriage opens and Lyf gets out with M'Rhys and Ethel close behind them. The moment their feet touch the ground, they turn and look ahead with a look of annoyance that their friends mimic.

Ethel frowns. "I know we're technically part of this campaign, but do Rhys and I really need to be here? I don't think I really... fit the scene very well," she says and looks down at herself.

Lyf nods with a sigh. "You'll be fine. Something tells me Castien will be too preoccupied with politics and his narrow-minded thinking to bother chastising a half-elf in a fedora," they state with a soft chuckle.

Ethel thinks. "If I'm a half-elf does that mean he'll only be half-racist?" she asks.

Lyf sighs and pats her back, motioning M'Rhys forward. They share a grimace as they look at the estate. This place may be beautiful on the surface, but they know the inevitable migraines that will follow as soon as they get started on what they are really here for. Castien's not fooling anybody.

Lyf turns and looks over at Naomi as she gushes over the palace.

Okay, maybe he's fooling somebody.

There are a few other carriages already here, lined up outside along the smooth paved road. Seems these other 'important guests' are already here. A few of the carriages bear different symbols. If Naomi recalls, one of the symbols she recognizes from the banners on the walls of Balmoral. She's a bit surprised to not see a carriage with the symbol of Ecrin.