6 | Hold Your Laughter

Mulai dari awal

I sighed, "at least tell me who you are? I kind of saved you, you know?"

"I didn't ask for your name when I saved you from that douche, right?"

I paused. "Fair, but don't expect your 'next near-death experience' to be so lucky. I don't want a random guy to wander into my room like it's the local park. I will lock my balcony doors-"

Hearing that, he did his best to hide his laughter it with a cough.

"And what are you laughing at?"

"Nothing."

"I won't take that answer!"

He sighed and pointed casually at the balcony door. "You think that lock can stop me?"

I eyed the door and froze in awkward silence. "Um..."

"Don't they teach you how to lock-pick?" He said, walking around half-naked and looking about for his jacket. My eyes followed him, unfazed.

"Unlike you, I don't need to pick locks to get to places," I glared, then muttered under my breath. "Why does this school even have locks?"

"To guard people like you?" He shrugged on his jacket, slipping his arms into his sleeves carefully.

My cheeks flushed. "Are you Robin?"

He froze, his hand reaching for his sword, "No."

"But you definitely know him-"

He turned around, his dark blade already out of his sheath, it's sharp edge against my neck.

"I can kill you right now."

I grew stiff. I was unprepared to see this side of him. Guess I pushed too hard. Despite my fear, I held my stance.

"You won't," I said but I wasn't so sure he wouldn't.

He slanted a smile, tilting his head, testing me. "And you're so certain about that?"

"If I end up dead, there will be an investigation. You don't want more people after you."

"I'll make sure-"

I cut him off by handing him his belt. "Don't forget this."

I walked around him to grab a cup of coffee. I didn't have a good reply for what he was going to say. I had a hunch that he could kill me clean. He'd tidy things up and leave without a trace. So, undermine him. Ignore his threats. Give him a false impression that I didn't care for the sword on my neck.

I poured in the coffee mix and flicked on the coffee machine. Hearing it hum were a comfort to my unsettling nerves.

I heard him sheath his sword. "You're one of a kind."

"I'll take that as a compliment," I shifted my body to keep him in my vision, only to find him supporting himself against the wall. "Are you sure you can go like that?"

He inhaled a breath, looking pale. "Yes, I'm sure."

I don't think so, boy.

I turned away so he couldn't read me. "Stay longer."

"What? Why?"

"It's early morning. Everyone's waking up. Do you really think I want to have anything to do with you? I don't want people to see you jumping from my balcony."

He emitted a quiet groan and flopped down on a chair. "I get it, same here. From today on, you go your way, and I'll go mine."

"Good." I poured myself a cup of coffee, and with some reluctance, I turned to ask him, "Want any?"

"Better than nothing."

I let out a huff, poured that ungrateful child a cup and shoved it into his hands. We sat in a good, solid minute of silence before he breathed. "Sorry about the sword."

"I'm pretty tempting to kill sometimes," I couldn't help but mutter, thinking about Tracy. I gulped my drink, took off my cardigan to grab my long vest and belt.

"You have a crest already?" He said, sounding surprised.

"Yeah, you don't have one?"

"It's by random troop ballot. Lucky me, I never needed to go through that." I sensed his gaze on me but he remained silent. I grabbed my sword and headed for the door.

"My name's Jaxton, by the way."

I wanted to retort with a harsh 'I don't care', but thought against it. I turned the knob, giving him a glance over my shoulder. "Cassandra."

The door closed and I hopped down the stairs, making a beeline for the beautiful stream where I had a secret talk with Marty. And, as if destiny was real, Marty was there. He watched the distance with a glazed look.

"Marty, hey," I said. I still hadn't figured out what I felt about him, but I left it to 'good impressions' and there was no need to be unfriendly. Besides, after what we talked about... I hoped we would still maintain our friendship, that he wouldn't avoid me like the plague.

To my relief, the moment he saw me, a grin slipped onto his face. "Oh, morning Cassie! It's quite early."

"Thought I'd come for a morning stroll before breakfast. You had the same idea?"

"Sure did-" His grin faltered. We both grabbed the hilt of our sword and snapped our head to the same direction.

"Who's there?" Marty said.

"Chill," Kristen came out from the shadows. "It's me."

Marty relaxed, straightening himself. "Phew... you have a habit on sneaking up on me lately."

"No I don't!" Kristen retorted. Her eyes lit up when she saw me, "Cassie! So good to see you! I was going to ask Mar-" she cleared her throat and tried again, "I was going to ask if you wanted to come to Practical today."

I gave her a sly smile, "where?"

"In... the forest." She quickly said but her glance had unconsciously shifted to Marty.

"I'll leave you girls to it."

"You should come with," I invited, a twinkle in my eye as I looked toward Kristen's blushed face.

"Can't, I have a meeting after breakfast. Catch you girls later." He gave a wave. "Eat something first, though!"

"Thanks, Marty!" I said, bursting into laughter the moment Marty leaves our vision.

Kristen punched me in the arm. "What was that!"

"Come on, you gotta make the moves. Create the opportunities," I gestured, "create the proximity."

"Stop, please."

I only laughed louder.

"Girl! Hold your laughter!"

"Sorry, can't."

Now, it was Kristen's turn to look smug. "Oh yeah? Let me show you how to hold it."

***

A/N

Before you ride off with your own stallion or mare, remember to leave a vote or comment :)

Appreciate it peeps!

L