Nightmare🤍

You shot awake when you heard JJ, who was once sound asleep next to you, yell out loudly. You couldn't quiet make out what he said, you only knew he was clearly in distress.

You span round to see him shuffling up the bed, panting uncontrollably.

"Hey hey sh shhh" You sounded, your hands coming up to his face as you laid half way across his chest.

He looked into your eyes, and all you could see back was fear. You rubbed your thumbs on both his cheeks softly, frowning in concern.

"What is it?" You whispered.

JJ grabbed onto both your wrists tightly, still unable to steady his breathing.

"D-dad" He breathed out. "He came in-in here, in your room. And he hit y-he hit-"

"Shh okay, okay" You nodded, running the tips of your fingers up the sides of his hair.

"I tried to stop him. I did, I tried!" JJ then cried out, his face scrunching up and tears falling out of his eyes effortlessly. You wiped them away gently, still trying to hush him as he sobbed.

You held the back of his head and shuffled up so that he could nuzzle into your chest.

You brushed through his hair with your fingers, whilst the other hand rubbed his back covered in goosebumps.

"It's not real. It's just a nightmare" You mumbled, kissing the top of his head repetitively.

He nodded, and in a couple of minutes his panting and cries turned into slower breathing.

Just you holding him was enough to calm him down.

He let out a sniffle, gazing up at you.

Your hand was on his face again, making his eyes flutter close as your thumb caressed his cheek.

"Get back to sleep now hm? I'm here"

"I don't think I'm gonna be able to fall back asleep now" He told you. You pouted, tapping your front again so that he would drop his head back down onto you.

"I'll stay awake until you fall back to sleep again okay? I'll look after you"

He nodded, tipping his head down and closing his eyes as his arms wrapped around your torso tightly. You held him once again, your fingertips running up and down his back to soothe him.

~

You hadn't got much sleep last night.

Since JJ had the nightmare, you just wanted to stay up and make sure he had you there just in case another one came along.

When morning came, you were up hours before him, just sitting cross legged on your side of the bed gazing at JJ sleeping soundly on his stomach. Occasionally you would brush away his hair, but you didn't want to risk waking him.

It got to 9am, and you were starting to get a little thirsty.

You crept out the room and into the kitchen to see John B pouring some cereal.

"What are you doing up?" You both asked eachother at the same time, chuckling afterwards.

"I've got work" John B replied. You nodded.

"I've been awake since 3am" You also answered, grabbing 2 glasses and filling them up with water.

"Yeah, what was that about last night? I heard yelling and I swear I heard crying at some point too" John B leaned back onto the counter, looking at you with a frown as you placed the glasses on the side.

You rested your elbows on the counter opposite, rubbing your eyes lazily.

"Yeah he, uh, he had a nightmare. It was pretty bad, he was pretty worked up about it"

"How is he now?" John B asked, concern on his face.

"He's sleeping. I'm gonna call in sick and stay with him today"

"Yeah that's probably best. These sorts of things tend to fuck him up in the long run sometimes" Your friend said with a nod.

You hummed before grabbing the glasses and heading back to see JJ.

"Catch you later" You called out quietly to John B.

~

Sitting back on the bed carefully, JJ's eyes fluttered open to see you above him with a little smile.

"Hey there sleepyhead" You said gently.

JJ sighed, rubbing his eyes with his palms before moving onto his back leaving him staring up at the ceiling.

You laid down next to him on your side, draping your arm over his torso and placing little kisses on his bicep.

His other arm reached over to push some of your hair back, basically just to acknowledge you.

"Jay" You let out quietly.

He turned his head to look at you. Fear was still in his eyes somehow.

Without a word, you held onto his back and ever so gently pulled him into you. He clocked onto what you were doing and effortlessly turned around to face you, wrapping his arms around your body.

Your arms rested on his shoulders as you buried your fingers in his hair.

Your faces were in line as you just looked at eachother in silence, waiting for the first word.

"Do you wanna talk about last night?" You asked quietly.

JJ just shook his head.

You gave him a comforting and understanding smile. "Okay"

"Thankyou for looking after me though" He finally spoke.

"I'll always look after you"

He smiled a little, inhaling and exhaling heavily. "Haven't you got work?" He then went on to ask.

You shook your head. "I'm not going in, I called in sick"

JJ dramatically gasped.

"You rebellious youth" He said.

You grinned. "I know, how dare I"

JJ chuckled, but soon after, his face dropped again. "I don't know what I'd do without you Y/N. Really"

You pouted, pressing a kiss to his lips.

"You'll never have to think about that" You said, pressing your forehead onto his. "Because you'll always have me"