What to Give Thanks For

Start from the beginning

"She's an adult. Let her date."

"She's not an adult. She's like... 8."

I didn't know if this counted as favouritism but my mum had a hint about Asa. I might've mentioned him to her a few times before but only because she was cool about it. My dad, however, was my dad—he was too overprotective.

"How are things with Asa?" Alice whispered this time. Since my parents were distracted with their own conversation, I decided to reply.

"Perfect. He's everything I've ever dreamed of."

"Hm, okay~" she smirked, "When will he meet mum and dad? He made a great impression on me so he can't be that bad for the oldies. Besides, you describe him like he's the most charming guy in the world," she laughed.

Well, in my opinion he was. He was the most charming man I'll ever know. He had the most beautiful hazel brown eyes and the cutest little smile. If anyone saw how he was with Areum, they'd fall in love with Asa too.

I'm not saying I was in love with him though... That's not what I meant....

The doorbell rang and the four of us shared surprised looks. None of us were expecting any guests. Alice went to get the door and I followed. Behind the door was the devil himself, Asa. He had a bottle of wine in one hand and a simple bouquet of flowers in the other but my dumbass was in shock and slammed the door on him. Shit, what do I do? My parents were already on their way over to see who it was...

"Who is it?" my dad asked.

"That's him right...?" Alice began and gave me a look.

"Mhm," I nodded, knowing she was referring to Asa. She nodded awkwardly and I opened the door again. There was no one there but I saw his feet hiding behind the corner. "You can come out of your hiding place, Asa. It's okay..."

After a few seconds, Asa approached the door again. He bowed to my family members, "Hi... I'm, uh..." he looked to me for help.

"Boyfriend?" my dad asked.

"Boyfriend, or not, let the poor man inside," my mum said and pulled Asa into the place by his arm. "Would you like a drink? I'll get you one."

My mum sat him down at the couch and my dad pulled me to the side. I already knew by the look at his face that he didn't really like Asa... I just knew it.

"Rosie, please don't tell me that's your boyfriend," he said quietly so they wouldn't hear us. "He's got tattoos all over his arms a-and piercings on his ears. He's got drug dealer and gang member written all over him."

I glance at Asa sitting with my sister and mum. He smiled shyly at my mum when she handed him a drink. He mixed the drink and took a sip. When he smiled and thanked my mum, I almost smiled too but I stopped myself before my dad could see me.

I cleared my throat, "He's not that bad, daddy." I cringed slightly after saying that... Asa completely ruined it for me. "He's actually a really sweet guy and I think if you get to know him, you'll realize it too."

"Pft, that's what they all say..." he grumbled. "What's his name?"

"Asa."

"That's a foreign name! No wonder he looks like he's up to no good."