Chapter 11

-Awake-

We all came back to the Glade. The first person we showed the device to was obviously Newt since Alby was out of commission for the time being. "We found this. It was inside a Griever." Thomas hands the now somewhat cleaner device to Newt as he examines it. "These are the same letters we get in our supplies." Newt commented. "Yeah . Whoever put us here obviously made the Grievers." Thomas makes his point.

"This is the first real clue we got in over 3 years. The first clear puzzle piece to unlock the key out of here." (y/n) spoke up. "Newt, we gotta go back out there. Who knows where this might lead us." Thomas added. Once again, I hate how they are practically on the same wavelength. It bugs me.

"You see what they're trying to do, right? First he breaks our rules, then she sides with him and tries to convince us to abandon them totally. The rules are the only thing that has ever held us together. Why now are we questioning that?" Gally asks Newt. "If Alby was here, you know he'd agree with me." low blow pulling the Alby card but okay.

"These Shanks need to be punished." Gally makes his final point, now awaiting Newt's response. "You're right." Newt finally decides. He hands me the device before continuing, "To make it clear however, (y/n) didn't break the rules so she doesn't need to be punished. Thomas however broke the rules. One night in the pit, and no food." Thank God (y/n) would not be punished. I don't think I would be able to handle knowing that those two will be in an enclosed space like the pit.

"Oh, come on, Newt! One night in the pit? And (y/n) going scot-free? Do you think that's going to stop them from going into the maze?" Gally protested. "No. And we can't just have non-runners running into the maze whenever they feel like it. So let's make this official. Starting from tomorrow, you're a runner. Then it will be their job to run into the maze." Newt finalises.

"Wow." Gally exclaims in disbelief before making his way out of the homestead. Frypan tried to stop him but Gally only pushed his help away. Soon everybody took their leave, leaving me, (y/n), Newt and Thomas. Thomas said his thanks to Newt before I guided him out of the homestead with (y/n) by my side, intertwining my fingers with hers, "Come on, follow us we gotta show you something."

⋯☾❀☽⋯

We lead Thomas into the Deadheads to the Map room. If he's going to be a runner, we need to show him the ropes. "Hey, where are we going?" Thomas asks as we trek the uneven ground, "You'll see." Was my only reply as I held (y/n)'s hand tighter. My heart still annoyingly pounds loudly for her.

We approached the familiar hut and entered. Along the walls were maps, sequences, patterns. All you could think of about the make and finally in the middle. I frown as I let go of (y/n)'s hand and lift the sheet covering the table in the middle of the room, revealing the miniature model of the maze. "It's the maze. All of it." I sighed out, leaning on my arms against the table.

"What do you mean 'all of it'? I thought you were still mapping it." Thomas questions, confused. "There's nothing left to map." (y/n) answers, "We've run every inch of it ourselves. Every cycle, every pattern, you name any part of the maze, we've been there." (y/n) sighs out, leaning against the wall.

"If there was a way out, we would have found it by now." I concluded. "Why haven't you told anyone this?" Thomas asks, "It was Alby's call. People needed to believe we had a chance of getting out." I walk towards Thomas's side of the table, "But now.. We have a real chance." I gave Thomas the device as (y/N) approached the table. "Here, take a look at this." (y/n) leans over the maze model.

"About a year ago, the runners started exploring these outer sections. We found these numbers printed on the walls, Sections 1 to 8." (y/n) explains, pointing to the numbered rocks we used as landmarks. "See the way it works, is every night, when the maze changes...It opens up a new section." I expanded further. "So today, Section 6 was open. Tomorrow, it will be 4, then 8, then 3. The pattern always stays the same." I ended.

"What's so special about 7?" Thomas asks, rubbing his finger over the bright red 7 on the device. "We know as much as you do." (y/n) shrugged. "But last night, when you two killed that Griever, Section 7 was open. I think I must be where it comes from." I gave my guess. "Tomorrow. The three of us are gonna take a closer look." A smile tugged on (y/n)'s lips. The same one I want to kiss so bad but I have to focus on finding a way out first.

"Hey! What are you guys doing? You're not allowed here." I explained to the two Med-jacks that came running to the door of the Map room. "Sorry, It's just the..." Jeff tried explaining, "It's the girl." Clint completed for him. "Is she awake?" Thomas was quick to turn around and ask them. "You could say that."

⋯☾❀☽⋯

"Chuck, Aziel, what's going on?" The five of us approached the watchtower where the girl apparently locked herself in. They only chuckled as they point to the top of the tower,

"Girls are awesome."