"But that wasn't your first thought."

"No, you're right," I admitted. "But, one gunshot is not proof our friends are alive."

She yanked away from me. "Fine, I'll find proof." She stormed off towards Dante and I walked back to my seat.

"Everything okay?" Miller asked.

I shrugged. "Yeah, Clarke is just being Clarke. You know how she is. Paranoid, aggressive," I tried to think of another negative adjective but my mind failed me. "She's had a hard time recently."

"You both have. I heard about Bellamy and Raven, I'm sorry."

"It's no one's fault but my own," I mumbled.

"We did everything we could, for both of them."

I nodded. "I know, but our best was not a lot. These people on the other hand have it all."

"I'm luck they brought me here, without them I'd be dead."

"We all got lucky," Monty mumbled. He glanced at me and I looked away, lucky was not exactly the word I'd use.

★ ★ ★ ★

Later that day I was sitting on my bed reading, I did enjoy the endless supply of books in Mount Weather. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Clarke walk in. I turned slightly so I could see her and Jasper talking. Clarke was visibly distressed. I hopped over the rail and walked over to them. "What's going on?"

"They want us to believe that man was shot by an arrow," Clarke told me.

"Maybe he was shot by an arrow," I suggested. Jasper nodded.

"Maia, our people are still out there."

"I know, Clarke. I know that. But look around. Look at our people. Half of them are kids. This is a safe place, with food, and beds, and you're trying to take that away from them." I knew my voice was rising; it tended to happen when I got upset. I took a deep breath. I didn't want to worry any of the others.

"There's something they aren't telling us, I know it."

"You sound like a crazy person, Clarke." I looked over my shoulder, the talking had quieted to whispers and most of the kids were watching us.

Clarke laughed. "Priceless."

"What?" I asked confused.

"A few days and it's already gone to your head. You're just trying to turn them against me. You know as well as I do that something is going on here, but you want to be the one to save the day."

"Clarke, please. I just want you to calm down and think about this rationally."

"I am, Maia. You're the one who needs a reality check." She shook her head. "You're on your own, I hope this is what you wanted." She turned around and walked away.

I looked at Jasper perplexed. "I swear, I'm not-"

"I know," he said. He steered me back toward my bunk.

"You okay, Maia?" Monty asked joining us. Jasper walked back towards the others.

I shrugged. "The only person that really understands what I'm going through basically just called me a manipulative bitch, but other than that I'm great."

"Clarke isn't herself right now," Monty said. "Not that I'm excusing her for yelling at you."

"Maybe she is the rational one." I looked at him for a moment. "Monty, I believe her."

"About the gun shot?"

"That there's something going on here. She's right about that, I feel it too. But I don't want to be the one to save the day, I can't be."