𝖝𝖝 | 𝔞𝔱𝔱𝔬 𝔡𝔲𝔢: 𝔰𝔠𝔢𝔫𝔞 𝔳𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔦

March 26th, 2020

3:33 P.M

The Akono Residency, Toronto, Canada

Yvette shook her head as another episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine began to play on the Samsung television.

"You get on a five-hour flight to come here and watch TV. Why? Why not just stay in California?" She asked.

"I'm sorry, mother. Would you like me to pack my bags and return to Los Angeles?" Zaire sarcastically proposed. "Am I interrupting your sexy time with Joel?"

"You're so annoying." She muttered with a chuckle.

"Despite the unfortunate circumstances, I am grateful for this break. I haven't seen you in two months, and I can't go without my mama for too long."

​"Mhm," She said before she watched Zaire look at the notification on his phone and sigh. "What's wrong?"

"There's this girl," He started.

"Oh man," Yvette comically sighed.

"I promise she's not one of those stereotypical California girls. She's stunning on the inside and out and fits all of my criteria."

"It sounds like things are going well for you. I don't understand why you're distressed."

"Our cultures are completely different," he said.

"Hm," she put her phone down to provide her full attention, "This sounds very similar to the story of someone I knew."

"Oh really? Who were they? How did they get past it?"

"This man wanted this girl so bad, but he was devastated when he realized he couldn't have her because he wasn't Muslim. So instead of converting because he wanted the girl, he learned to embrace Islam for what it is and to love the religion. In the end, he knew more about Islam than she did."

He hummed and raised an eyebrow. "This story is awfully familiar. I think Dad told me about it- oh I see what's going on here."

"Yep, it was your father. He fell in love with the religion, not because of me, but because he developed a strong relationship with Allah."

"From what she's told me, her mother is Filipino, and she wants someone within the same or similar culture. Her mother's approval means everything to her, and I'm worried her disapproval will crush her spirits."

"I think this is a talk you need to have with this girl.''

"Yeah," he heavily exhaled, the stress of the situation beginning to overwhelm him. "What does a guy gotta do to get married to his soulmate around here?" He exasperatingly huffed before he leaped up and ran to his room.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"We're on day six of being in this house, and nothing bad has happened yet," Madison said. "That seems like a win for me."

"Only because I haven't seen or spoken to either of them. I've only been in this room and the bathroom." Kian softly chuckled. "It's only a matter of time before my body craves home-cooked meals rather than Postmates."

"The whole reason we came is to see if they changed. We won't ever know if you continue to stay in this room. I've been outside this room more than you, and I don't even live here. You need to stop this."

"One more night?" He proposed desperately and groaned when she gave him a stern glare. "Fine. We'll go down for dinner? Is that enough for you?"

"Absolutely." She cheered, "So, I want to be prepared for anything that might happen. Can you tell me what usually happens at dinner? Try not to be too hostile and biased."