{43} and spiders have to stick together, right?

THERE WAS A MOMENT OF STILLNESS as Natasha flinched violently at the sound of a distinct snapping noise when a body hit the floor, bones splintered and broken on impact.

No words passed her lips, because for a brief moment her body didn't know how to react and instead chose to simply shut down. Freezing to the point where she was hardly breathing- her knees almost buckled beneath her weight at the silence that echoed in her ears despite the cries of anguish at the sight of Peter falling. Every avenger fought with a renewed, grief filled vengeance against the last standing Hydra soldiers as Natasha stood motionless in the centre. Her eyes dropped to the body on the ground, air refusing to meet her lungs as a sob clawed its way into her throat- then she saw his chest rise. It was so small, barely even there and maybe it was just her imagination but she dragged in a broken breath of her own as some distant part of Natasha's brain moved her feet across the room despite the fight still occurring around her- it was a miracle she wasn't hit with a stray bullet.

At one point she stumbled over Cain's shattered body and satisfaction unfurled in her chest at the sight of his broken neck before she turned to Peter. Natasha had to steel herself.

A large rebar pole was protruding from his abdomen.

Every last bit of energy she had drained out of her as she collapsed at his side, staring at his ashen complexion; his lips had spatters of hauntingly bright blood on them. "Peter?" Nat whispered, her chin trembling at the sight of him so still as her hands encased his own- they were freezing. She licked her lips and struggled for something to say. "It's okay." She mumbled, holding his hand against her forehead while she sat by his side, eyes screwed shut and struggled to breathe herself.

"'T-tasha?" His voice was hoarse and quiet.

Her head snapped upwards, eyes wide and unbelieving; a fearful part of her thought she had imagined his small intake of air- but she noticed Peter's eyelids were open slightly, staring at her as if she would disappear if he looked away even for a second. He squeezed her hand gently before coughing; it was horrible and harsh and made the teenager wince. It felt as though his chest was on fire.

"Hey, you're going to be okay." Natasha soothed him, shifting even closer.

Gently, her free hand drifted to his curls and untangled them from one another, carefully avoiding the cut on the side of his head. Her other hand continued to clutch his as she leaned in.

A smile ghosted past Peter's lips when he continued to stare at her, almost like he didn't believe she was there with him. "It was worth it, you know?" He rasped out. Natasha wanted to tell him to be quiet, to save what little strength he had left. The idea of him saying goodbye, after everything that they had been through, made her heart ache terribly- like it was being carved out of her chest.

His eyes started fluttering closed. "What was?" She asked panickily, trying to keep him awake.

"Being loved, and loving you." He murmured, eyes drifting from hers. Peter looked around at the conflict, unperturbed by how close it was to him before he focussed on the ceiling above his head. "I'll never regret it. Never. I swear." Peter mumbled, almost to himself. "And I regret a lot of things." He admitted, letting out a quiet chuckle that turned into gasping breaths.

When he turned back and caught sight of Natasha, he offered a bloody smile.

She drew in a sharp, watery breath at his red-stained teeth. "I love you too, Pete." The words hung between them as Peter's eyes moved slightly and he stared off into space for a moment, any trace of a smile slipping from his face. The blood streaming down his side caught Natasha's attention, her eyes noticing the way it soaked into his clothing and clung to his skin.

"It burns." He said abruptly, frowning at the uncomfortable feeling.

Tears slipped out the corners of his eyes and he looked back at Nat- she smiled down at him though it looked pained. "Why does it burn?" He asked innocently, features contorting into confusion and genuine fear- every heartbeat sent a surge of pain.

As if his chest were being ripped to shreds. Natasha looked down at him sadly and fought back a sob of her own. He watched a tear roll down her cheek.

"Don't be sad mom." He whispered, swallowing thickly before his eyes drooped closed. Natasha tightened her grip on his hand and shook it. After a long moment he opened them again and looked blearily up at her- panic and grief swirled in her stomach.

"We're a family kid, and spiders have to stick together, right? So, you have to stay awake."

With her words she leaned in even closer, practically hunched over him as if she could protect him when the damage had already been done. The sounds of fighting had dimmed over the past few minutes but Natasha didn't spare a second to check, not when it could be spent with Peter.

"Spider family." He hummed; lips turned upwards. "Cool." They were still stained crimson.

"Yeah." She sniffed, stroking back his hair. "Cool." 

A/N

Oh yeah, I brought back, "Cool." "Cool." but in like the saddest way possible hehe.

Anywho! Let me know of any spelling mistakes! xoxo.