{18} he, erm, walked into the bat?

THE TOWER WAS SEEMINGLY SILENT in comparison to the chaos unfolding on the floor below; Wanda struggled to haul Peter's body through the endless corridors when he finally woke up.

On instinct, his body jerked away from her hold as they rounded a corner.

"Peter it's just me!" Wanda cried in surprise, her arms reaching out and barely catching him as he slumped against the wall in a flurry of movement- his balance was still shot from whatever drug was running through his system. Suddenly, Peter's legs buckled beneath him and they were both dragged to the ground; despite his sluggish thrashing and weak attempts at pushing her off, Wanda managed to hold on to the other teen. "Peter, please." She begged, cupping his face in her hands gently- his ragged breath fanned across her cheeks.

At the sudden touch, Peter grabbed her wrists- eyes wide and fearful- and wrenched them away. Wanda winced at the tight grip and struggled to free herself.

For a brief moment, a flicker of fear sparked in Wanda's chest and she immediately knew why no one spoke about Peter's life before the avengers. The most she knew was that he had been used by Hydra, but now, having to face his strength and his cold, lifeless eyes she understood- Peter hadn't been another experiment like herself and kept around, he had been fashioned into an asset.

Nothing more than an efficient tool. A means to an end. Her heart ached at the realisation.

"They're just memories, fragments of nightmares Peter- it isn't real." she ordered shakily, her fingers sparking as she pressed their foreheads together.

His mind was endlessly complex; littered with dark, gaping chasms that threatened to swallow Wanda whole and drown her from within- her breaths stuttered. Around her was light, so bright and vibrant that it threatened to blind her; pure, innocent happiness that was only challenged by the gaping black. Focussing hard, Wanda gripped the memories of laughter and excitement and yanked them to the forefront of Peter's mind, smoothing over the deep, endless crevasses until they were nothing but faint cracks and blurred lines in the background.

Peter's eyes shot open as he gasped.

He stared at Wanda's face that was so close to his own. Her eyes were screwed shut with a single tear running down her cheek. She had seen Peter's mind intimately, and wished that she could have done more to soothe the pain and the damage Hydra had caused him- she couldn't imagine living with the memories of what had been done to him, of what he had been made to do.

"Wanda?" Peter croaked out, eventually. Concern flitted across his eyes as her own opened and his grip disappeared from her wrists. He was sliding his hearing aids on when she met his gaze.

The red that had been swirling in her eyes faded and guilt flashed over her face before she turned away. Swallowing thickly, Wanda pushed herself to her feet before she helped Peter to his and glanced tentatively up and down the corridor. "We have to go."

"Go?" Peter echoed, confusion changing his features. "What happened? What's going on?"

"The agents who locked you up, they tried to take you." Wanda summarised, tugging Peter along until his wrist was wrenched out of her hold; she spun around.

"We have to help the team!"

"They want you." Wanda huffed, "The only way you'll help is by getting out."

For a moment, Peter stared defiantly back at Wanda as her chest heaved with exertion and emotion- he looked as if he wanted to turn back, a glint of determination forming in his eyes when he froze.

Suddenly, before she could even blink, Wanda was pulled against the wall and Peter had seamlessly manoeuvred himself so that he was in front of her body as she waited, studying his body language intently. He tilted his head, listening to something that was just out of her hearing range- before she could wheedle him for information she heard it too, a voice just down the next corridor that sounded awfully familiar.