{15} i'm putting you on a leash

FOOTSTEPS. PETER'S EARS TUNED INTO the low stampede of footsteps as he stood beside May who's only sign of discomfort was how rigidly she stood in the middle of the avenger's communal area. He flashed her a tight smile that betrayed his nervousness and she returned it instantly, soothing some of his raging anxiety.

"Parker." Clint announced, relief tinged the name as he rounded the corner.

The archer looked as unapproachable as ever, but Peter could see the worry drain from his shoulders when the man's eyes settled on Peter's familiar frame, and then reappear when his attention switched to the woman beside him. May's face darkened as she narrowed her eyes at the duo- she stepped in front of Peter with ease before he uttered a single word in response.

He watched her in mild confusion. "Well. What a surprise."

Natasha paused. "We should talk, Mrs Parker."

"Natasha?" She queried. The assassin nodded and May turned to face Clint.

"Let's talk. Leave these two alone." She announced. The only sign of Nat's surprise was the minute widening of her eyes as Clint smirked in amusement at the woman before him.

"I'm going to like you." He commented, gesturing for May to follow.

There was a tense silence that followed their departure. Peter resolutely stared down at his feet because despite May's words of encouragement on the way over, some part of him couldn't face the woman now standing only feet away. Normally, Natasha would have reached out for him and hoped her actions were enough to convey what she could never say aloud- though she was beginning to suspect that maybe words were needed now.

Just as she opened her mouth, everyone else came barrelling round the corner- Harley no longer being able to contain himself, though somehow Tony was the first to reach Peter and give him a bone crushing hug that billionaire would later deny till he ran out of air.

"I swear to god kid, you run off again and I'm putting you on a leash." Peter laughed good-naturedly into the older man's shoulder.

"You got it Mr Stark."

"It's Tony." He muttered, letting out a long-suffering sigh because the whole name business was a losing battle apparently, and maybe Tony was okay with losing it as long as Peter was still around to call him it. Then he was suddenly being shoved back with a surprising strength by Harley and Wanda, both of who practically jumped on Peter at once and almost toppled him over if it wasn't for his enhanced strength.

"Okay guys- I'm fine, really. May took care of me." Natasha's chest tightened at his words as she watched on from the side-lines, her eyes fixated on the teenage boy.

"You asshole-"

"You moron-"

He barely took in a breath as both teenagers began berating and badgering him; Tony looked absolutely gleeful at this turn of events as he watched on, entertained by the mortified expression on Peter's pleading face while he uselessly tried to get help from the billionaire.

It was like he had never left.

Silently, and under the cover of everyone huddled around Peter, Steve took the opportunity and sidled up next to Natasha- the others edged forwards unaware, pleased to have Peter home.

"You going to talk to him?" He asked, watching her shoulders hunch together.

"I have to call Fury." She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose for a moment. "Maybe I'm not cut out for this Steve." Natasha confessed in a rare moment of vulnerability; her eyes were glued to Peter across the room as he was once again engulfed by Wanda whilst she managed to still hit him upside the head in one fluid motion.

"You're the strongest woman I know. If anyone's going to be able to wrangle Peter Parker, it's you."

"He's not the problem." she muttered, thoughts whirling faster than Steve could keep up with as she turned away and fished out her phone when the elevator doors opened.

Fury marched in, jaw set and an annoyed glint in his eyes.

However, his abrupt rampage stopped short at the sight of the gathered avengers that surrounded Peter who was in the middle of a chokehold curtesy of Harley- young love, he mused internally before a group of agents followed him out. The flicker of relief that had darted across his face was replaced by irritation; he glared at the agents that crowded behind him oppressively.

No one saw Natasha move, but she was suddenly standing in front of Peter, immoveable and solid as she blocked him from sight with her body and arched a single eyebrow.

"I didn't call." she stated simply, not even regarding the influx of agents.

Fury's lip twitched into a scowl. "World Council heard of the case," his eyes jumped to Peter with an almost worried glint in them, "they decided the avengers were too close to the Parker case; you're all dismissed. He'll be taken into Shield custody for holding until we can make a profile."

"Like hell you will." Tony started, pushing a startled Peter behind him.

On instinct, Wanda glared at the agents that dared to move in closer. She and Vision backed up towards Peter and flanked him both sides, ready to act on a moment's notice.

"This is not a discussion Stark." Fury sighed. "Mr Parker is to be kept in holding and assessed."

Natasha studied Fury intently, as if trying to read his thoughts before she shifted, stowing away her suspicions as she nodded. "Fine. But he goes into holding here."

"Deal. Sounds fair enough." Fury agreed swiftly, the duo sharing another discreet look.

Protests sounded from the assembled group; Harley was threatening to tackle Fury himself- Tony did little to restrain the teenager and also threw around his own threats whilst a gauntlet wrapped around his wrist. Wanda fumed silently and glowered at any agents that stared at Peter for too long while Vision looked contemplative as he watched the various reactions unfold.

Then Steve forced his way to the front, trying to gain a semblance of order while Thor removed Bruce from the escalating situation- he was turning green in the face.

Ignoring everyone, even Captain America as he attempted to grab her arm, Natasha barged past them and straight to Peter. Her eyes softened at his lack of refusal at being locked up; she was struck by the horrific thought that she might have been one of the reasons he believed himself dangerous enough to be handcuffed. "Trust me." She murmured, barely audible. He met her eyes and seemed to scan them before he gave an imperceptible nod back in response.

Despite the argument and their exchange of words, Peter knew to trust her.

After everything they'd been through, he knew Natasha had his back and there was clearly something happening that was bigger than him. He was also comforted by the thought of the assassin still having his back. Hesitantly, and only once Peter had given the all clear himself did Wanda finally back down, Vision taking the cue from her. She knew what it was like to be locked up against her will, but she acquiesced to Peter's decision. Harley looked torn as Tony tugged him back, a firm, grounding hand on his shoulder as the billionaire glowered at Natasha's back- Steve was speechless.

No words left Peter, setting half the team on edge as he watched the handcuffs clink into place- they were painfully similar in terms of design to the Hydra collar he had worn.

He looked up at the agent, no longer able to look at the cuffs and felt his spider sense tingle and a terrible feeling of danger creep down his spine. 

A/N

I know it's super abrupt, the arrival of Fury and a bunch of agents- but all will be explained. Also sorry for slow updates, I'm back at college and in my second year and I'm exhausted!

Anywho! Let me know of any spelling mistakes! xoxo.