{24} i can have a break down later. or next week if i have the time.

SUN FILTERED IN THROUGH THE CURTAINS as Peter opened his eyes. He squinted against the light and looked around at the unfamiliar room in confusion before the previous day's events came flooding back to the forefront of his mind.

Peter suppressed a groan and instead huffed out a long breath. He stretched out each of his limbs before briefly noting that the dull pain from his wound had disappeared. Still half asleep, Peter rolled onto his side and clumsily reached for the bedside table until he found his hearing aids; he relished in the sounds of the world meeting his ears when the door opened in his peripheral.

"Finally awake?" Barney mused, leaning against the doorframe with a cup of coffee in his hands.

Deciding not to dignify the man with an answer, Peter promptly rolled over and instead chose to bury his face into the pillow- he heard the deep laugh of Barney in response to his action.

"I called Clint today." He announced offhandedly, laughter trailing off.

The teen shot up into a sitting position. His drowsiness gone in an instant. "Shit. I completely forgot."

Guilt welled in his chest at the realisation as he pinched the bridge of his nose to stave off a headache. How could he have forgotten? Peter berated himself internally for getting so caught up in his own emotions to not focus on the mission- he should have done better.

"Hey- Peter." Barney ordered. He had moved forwards whilst Peter's thoughts spiralled around him, and snapped his fingers in front of the teen's face. "You were dead on your feet and injured, who cares that you forgot? You had two other passengers. It's fine kid."

The older man watched Peter for a moment as he drew his knees closer to his chest and ran a hand down the length of his face. He looked so much older than sixteen in that moment.

There was a defeated curve to his shoulders that set Barney on edge. It looked painfully familiar to the posture he had worn when Peter had finally snapped at Helen when they rescued the teenager from Hydra- Peter sighed for a second time, oblivious to the man's inner turmoil. He moved to get up from the bed, already pushing back the covers until Barney rested a heavy hand on his shoulder and effectively held him in place. "Not everything is on you. Alright?"

Peter stared straight up at the oldest Barton and Barney struggled to maintain the eye contact.

"Yeah." He finally breathed out, though it lacked conviction. "I know."

Reluctantly, Barney nodded before he pulled back and took a long sip from his coffee as the teen busied himself around the room. "They'll be here late tonight because I convinced them to drive. It's less incognito than a jet, so in the meantime we're all meeting in the barn for some training."

"Training?" Peter's head snapped up from the duffel bag he was rummaging in.

There were several different sets of clothing that had been set aside haphazardly before Peter found what he had been searching for. Relief visibly flowed through him as his fingers felt the cold, familiar metal against his skin; he was still looking at Barney in confusion as he stowed away the gun in the back of his jeans without hesitation. Barney resisted the urge to comment but his chest still tightened uncomfortably at the idea that Peter felt that he needed to be armed whilst he stayed at the farmhouse.

"Thought I'd teach that boyfriend of yours some self-defence since he told me about his baseball bat encounter- and Wanda seemed pretty interested in training you. Something about powers?"

Peter felt his cheeks heat up as he grabbed a bundle of clothing.

"Yeah. A little going away present from Hydra." He muttered darkly. Barney frowned, cursing his internal feelings as he intercepted Peter before he managed to duck around him.