{40} i plan to make an example of one of their own

THE UNLIKELY PAIRING OF Natasha and Vision made quite the surprising stealth team as the assassin weaved her way through abandoned corridors and the android phased through the walls.

Together, they skilfully avoided any Hydra goons that had been strewn about the perimeter with an admirable ease before they found the security room. It was thankfully unoccupied and quickly unlocked due to Vision when he walked through the wall- Natasha would admit she was slightly envious of that particular ability.

"Can you make a diversion?" She asked, drawing the blind on the door once she had slipped inside.

Wordlessly, Vision drifted to the control panel. He reached and began to type in a range of complex codes at a rate Natasha could only ever dream of achieving- she looked on in approval. "An alarm will go off as well as an automated voice claiming an attack on the main area. Hydra will converge there in t-minus 30 second, Agent Romanoff." He concluded, just as the alarm began to sound throughout the building. Vision smiled genuinely at his accomplishment and the nod of approval he received from the assassin when he faced her obediently for the next set of instructions.

She pressed herself against the wall as she peaked out through the glass in the door.

Soldiers marched passed at the insistence of the automated voice over the speakers as she watched on silently. "Hydra is on their way." Natasha announced into the comm set, receiving confirmation from Steve before she gestured for Vision to follow her out of the room once the coast was clear.

-

Quite happily, Clint had drifted into the land of unconsciousness when a shrill alarm stirred him awake; his body ached in annoyance at the disturbance.

He grunted as the assaulting sound registered in his mind and he lifted his head, the ringing in his ears doubling in protest when he barely managed to look around the room through his swollen eye. Dried blood was smeared under his nose- he was pretty sure that it was broken- as well as under a nasty split lip that stung irritably. The archer was also confident that his cheekbone had been shattered at some point and that his whole face was one glaring, purple bruise. The blood had also soaked into the front of his shirt from where it had trailed down his neck as he looked around for Peter.

Clint didn't know exactly when he'd passed out, or whether it had been from the pain or just a well-aimed punch. He also didn't know when Peter had stopped.

"Pete?" The name fell from his lips as his thoughts strayed to the teen.

Then his eyes finally noted the figure huddled in on himself in the corner of the room. Swallowing thickly, Clint forced in a raspy breath that burned his raw throat before he winced at the way it made his ribs shift painfully in retaliation- definitely broken. "You okay buddy?"

No response came, not that he'd expected much of one.

Groaning, Clint strained his eyes again but the room was too dark to make out any distinct injuries on the teenager and his blackened eye twinged in pain at his efforts.

Peter remained crouched in the corner; his knees drawn tight to his chest which did nothing to quell the worry unfurling in Clint's chest; was he injured? He was hauntingly still with a barely noticeable rise and fall of his lungs the only thing indicating that the teenager was actually alive. Before the archer could press for an answer out of the boy, the door was thrown open- Cain marched inside, his chest heaving with hardly restrained anger. In an instant, Peter had jumped back to his feet and any sign of stillness disappeared in the blink of an eye.

At the sight and sudden arrival of the man, Clint spat the blood that had been steadily building in his mouth on the floor at his feet. Cain tightened his grip on the gun at his side, clearly intent on unloading a few bullets in the archer's direction when Peter smoothly stepped between them.

Instead, the man's jaw clamped shut and the muscle in his cheek jumped.

"The alarm. What is it?" Peter asked, ignorant of Clint staring at the back of his head like he was an alien; what was he doing?

Cain ground his teeth together, still glowering at the man over the teen's shoulder. He gritted out, "The avengers- they're here." He eyed Clint before adding, "Untie the bird."

At the new order, Peter blinked and a frown tugged on his lips as he stood in front of Cain for a beat longer than he should have before he finally turned around and began to untie Clint's hands without another word of protest. Clint knew that Peter was somehow snapping out of whatever they'd done to him- his hands were gentle around the rope burns and careful when manoeuvring the archer from the chair, wary of his weakened state and aching bones.

"What do you plan to do with him?" Peter's voice was cool and almost uninterested. He was the epitome of indifference bar the glint of worry in his eyes as he helped Clint stand that only the archer seemed to be privy too after living with the kid for a year.

Relief flooded through the older man that at least Peter could be his Peter again one day.

"I plan to make an example of one of their own." Cain announced, shooting Peter a sick grin as he snatched Clint from his grip. Peter's hands curled into fists by his sides when he was relieved of Clint's weight and left alone for a moment- then he steeled himself suddenly, smoothing out his features before following Cain while he dragged Clint through the base.

He left a trail of blood behind him. 

A/N

Why do I actually want to see more of Natasha and Vision? And Peter being so confused by the idea of hurting Clint and then killing him- makes me giggle, and hurts my soul. :)

Anywho! Let me know of any spelling mistakes! xoxo.