{30} uninteresting people don't generally have to say that

OUTSIDE OF THE RAIN HITTING THE WINDOWS, Peter could hear the barely muffled footsteps of Hydra agents pouring out of the elevator.

He had evaluated the room's strengths and weaknesses in case of an invasion when he had first moved in, so once Peter had ended the call, he immediately moved to position himself on the ceiling. His body pressed tight into the corner above the kitchen doorway to give him the perfect view of the door and windows. The familiar sounds of guns being handled made him unconsciously shift, his attention solely on their main entrance point.

As the seconds dragged, Peter felt his heart pound in protest within his chest while the agents assembled outside the door. They whispered commands and countdowns, unaware of his enhanced hearing- Peter was grateful. He had spent the long drive to and from the farmhouse debating his next move- he couldn't keep running forever. It wasn't sustainable and he couldn't drag Wanda and Harley around the globe; they deserved to be home and safe. Peter could and would give them that.

So, despite every fibre in his being screaming at him to run, Peter planted himself firmly. His palms stretched out across the ceiling to hold himself up.

A harsh knock came, and his spider sense flared.

Shuffling from the bedroom met Peter's ears; he could hear the soft footfalls and the squeak of the bed- the door handle rattled a moment later. Automatically, Peter's eyes shifted in the direction of the bedroom, drawn by the noise when the front door was broken down a beat later. The wood splintered on impact and clattered to the ground, leaving the hinges torn and broken from the wall.

Fists pounded against the bedroom door. "Peter?!"

Multiple agents surged forwards, guns raised and torches searching, masking the worried call.

As the room flooded with people, Peter surveyed them in silence. His eyes moved back and forth intently, counting the hostiles and marking out a plan of attack in his mind. One of the agents turned towards the bedroom where the handle was moving frantically- Peter felt his body tense and panic swarm his senses as his attention zeroed in on the threat.

He launched himself off the ceiling on instinct, landing on the man's back and steering him away from the door with ease as the added weight made the man stumble.

Barely suppressing a groan, Peter felt his back slam into the wall and the plaster cave in on impact from the weight of his body. At the sudden sight of him, bullets ripped past Peter's head while he clung to the man and used him as a human shield. He hissed as a bullet nicked his arm and he could feel the warmth of blood beginning to steadily pour from the wound.

"Peter!" Came a chorus of voices from the bedroom, demanding and frantic.

The handle continued to rattle uselessly as red peaked from beneath the door- it sparked but was useless against the webs keeping the door firmly closed.

Dropping his human shield to the ground, Peter rolled quickly to his feet and webbed the nearest gun away and threw it across the room, startling the Hydra agent. Although, they soon recovered when Peter moved to raise his fist and found one already being swung towards him like a baseball bat- his hairs all rose at once, forcing Peter to bend backwards to avoid being hit. He somersaulted away with ease and landed in a practiced, defensive crouch with his eyes narrowing at the growing number of enemies and the increasing numbness in his arm.

There was a tense moment as Peter waited, jaw clenched while he heaved in a long breath through his nose, allowing his eyes to drift over all the weapons aimed at his head.

Peter frowned slightly in confusion at the lack of actual 'shooting'.

No one was moving to attack, seemingly content to have Peter backed into a corner. It made his sense overwhelming, and he itched to gain distance between himself and the barrel of the weapon almost touching his forehead. Then, the teen heard a single set of footsteps beneath the steady heartbeats.

Someone else, someone dangerous, had just entered the room.

Even the pounding on the bedroom door had stopped, as if anticipating the new arrival.

"Mr Parker." Came the voice before the man himself.

It was low and thick with an accent he couldn't identify. Peter's shoulders hunched together, eyes now following the stranger's every move as they sidled in front of the agents that backed away instinctively. His flight response was kicking in, increasing Peter's heart rate and flooding him with added adrenaline when he met the man's eyes. "You're a hard one to find."

"Why not just give in?" Peter suggested, voice calm and collected. But he could feel the almost rhythmic tremble in his hand- he pressed it harder against the floor.

"You intrigue me." The man announced simply, a hard glint in his eyes.

He said it as if he didn't need any other reasoning to hunt Peter down like an animal except for the fact that he was curious. It made the teenager's skin crawl and the urge to run became harder to stomp down- he was thankful for Harley and Wanda's sudden silence and that they were not on the receiving end of the stare from the man. Peter felt like he was being studied, his insides ripped out and exposed for the world to see how he worked and functioned.

"I'm not that interesting." Peter assured, face void of much emotion bar indifference.

"Funny." A flicker of a smile crossed their face; Peter thought it looked sadistic and twisted. The man tilted his head to the side, eyes raking over every inch of Peter's form with an unwavering gaze- he fought back a shiver. "Uninteresting people don't generally have to say that." He mused.

"I didn't catch a name. Care to enlighten me?"

The man smiled, his lip getting caught on the edge of his tooth.

"I founded the Hydra division you were created for." Peter arched an eyebrow, keeping his expression blank of the fear slowly expanding in his chest- he forced down the pulses of magic that he could feel building beneath his skin, wanting to lash out and protect. "Alexander Cain. I was on my way to visit when your band of merry men blew it to pieces hours before my arrival."

Memories of Helen and the Hydra base flitted through Peter's mind.

He couldn't hide the panic that seemed to rise behind his eyes and the tell-tale hitch in his breath. The burn on his neck itched suddenly and Peter bit back the urge to claw at it. Cain grinned devilishly, as if he knew it too, before he looked around the room.

"I'm so glad we could meet now though. So, let's get a move on, shall we?"

A/N

Woo! The official introduction of the sequel's antagonist- thoughts?

I also really love Peter in this section because I feel like he dips back into being sort of dark, like the time before Nat found him. I don't want him to lose any of the character development and the idea of when he needs to focus and concentrate he just becomes a much sinister and threatening character fills me with joy. Ya know?

Anywho! Let me know of any spelling mistakes! xoxo.